CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #21
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Which Paleo Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
After reading the more diet focused Paleo books, I'd also recommend Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" and Lorain Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth".

Especially Vegetarian Myth, both have lots of good information to reinforce and clarify the Paleo principles.
Ginny Messina RD, who is vegan and therefore presumably one of "the enemy" reviewed The Vegetarian Myth here.

Quote:
And I guess if you really want to be educated then you should read some of the enemy, like "The China Study", but be sure to google for more info after reading that book to learn about its shortcomings (which are numerous and chronic).

That would be good threadjack - what other books are recommended reading from the enemy? (the vegetarian/vegan bibles)
I'd recommend The New Becoming Vegetarian and/or Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina RD. I consider them essential reading for anyone wanting to adopt a vegetarian/vegan or just a heavily plant based diet as they provide a clear explanation of the science without straying too far into animal rights issues. Plant Based Nutrition and Health by Stephen Walsh PhD is also worth reading although it isn't anywhere near as authoritative as Vesanto Melina's books.

As for websites I'd recommend Jack Norris RD's site www.veganhealth.org

*All links wfs*
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #22
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I think more people should go the vegetarian/vegan route, leaves more meat for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Ginny Messina RD, who is vegan and therefore presumably one of "the enemy" reviewed The Vegetarian Myth here.
Hmm, she's already lost me right at the beginning:

"while grains could be gathered, ground and consumed by our ancestors, dairy is 100% dependent on agriculture."

Cows were making milk long before agriculture was invented. Heck, long before people were drinking milk. They don't need us to survive.

And while grains could be gathered, they were not gathered in significant amounts until the agricultural revolution.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #24
Bob Holman

Profile:

I have Mark Sisson's books, Lauren Cordain's, and Robb Wolf's. Having said that I don't think it necessary to get any books. Mark's site and Whole 9 Life's site has all the info you need to get started and a long ways down the road.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #25
Dave Winchester

Profile:

I have Primal Blueprint and Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution. Personally I've enjoyed Robb's book better. The writing style in the Primal Blueprint was just too "fruity" for me; the whole romanticized caveman life shtick is worn out and annoying.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #26
Neal Carlson

Profile:

Iíve read the Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond, and The Paleo Diet by Cordain. I found The Paleo Diet to be more repetitious and with less information and explanation when compared to the Deadly Harvest. Which might be an advantage depending on what you want.

I donít think anyone mentioned it yet Ė gotta give a plug for Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Itís thick, and gets deep into scientific studies, but it blew my mind by explaining why what I thought about diet was completely wrong, or at best does not have scientific consensus.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Ian Peek

Profile:

Neanderthin - Ray Audette isn't too bad.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #28
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Carlson View Post
Iíve read the Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond, and The Paleo Diet by Cordain. I found The Paleo Diet to be more repetitious and with less information and explanation when compared to the Deadly Harvest. Which might be an advantage depending on what you want.
I agree, Deadly Harvest is one of the best paleo diet books available. The author does make the same mistake as Cordain though when he says to avoid eating starchy root vegetables as paleo man ate lots of them as do the majority of the worlds extant hunter-gatherers.

Quote:
I donít think anyone mentioned it yet Ė gotta give a plug for Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Itís thick, and gets deep into scientific studies, but it blew my mind by explaining why what I thought about diet was completely wrong, or at best does not have scientific consensus.
This is still my favourite quote about Taubes and GCBC -

"The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, the more I think Taubes is a supercilious ignorant twat. he's got literally EVERYTHING wrong and anybody relying on 1930's textbooks to make a point is just too stupid to deal with." - Lyle McDonald. (wfs)
Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #29
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, the more I think Taubes is a supercilious ignorant twat." - Lyle McDonald.

Funny thing is I think the same thing about Lyle and some of the comments he makes too.

"Lyle can stick with his ideas, Im going to stick with mine--he is trying to build 175lb "Marky Marks", and Im trying to build 275lb Markus Ruhls". -Dante "DoggCrapp" Trudel
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #30
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Funny thing is I think the same thing about Lyle and some of the comments he makes too.

"Lyle can stick with his ideas, Im going to stick with mine--he is trying to build 175lb "Marky Marks", and Im trying to build 275lb Markus Ruhls". -Dante "DoggCrapp" Trudel
The problem with that quote is that it's genes not diet that determines who is going to become a "Marky Mark" or a Markus Ruhl.