CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Jim Crowell

Profile:
Obesity Rates in the United States

I was researching today, and found that according to the CDC over 20% of Americans are Obese. It is funny to think of all the efforts in place to help other sicknesses, but when is the last time there was a large effort to fight obesity.

Its amazing to me. Here is the full article Obesity
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Obesity Rates in the United States

What's even worse is that two-thirds of adults are overweight, a number that is surely to grow given the huge rise in overweight kids recently. I'm not optimistic about what both figures will be at in ten years.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Based on BMI alone, I say the data is skewed.

BMI in itself does not show health or fitness, as it is a basic calculation.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post

True, but it's fairly accurate for populations...think about it, of the 250+lb people you see on a daily basis, how many of them are 250+ because they're built like a linebacker? Very few because most who are 250+ are there because they have bodyfat percentages in the 40-50% range. The portion of the population that trains correctly and seriously enough to build significant lean body mass is very small.

To the OP, there are plenty of efforts in place to fight obesity, unfortunately most center on drugs or semi-dangerous medical procedures rather than taking the common-sense approach of telling people to work out and eat healthy, unprocessed foods. Most people want the easy way out and "just don't have time to work out" or "just can't imagine giving up my sodas and desserts."
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post

Right, but if you read data that estimates only 20-30% of Americans are getting enough exercise to have sufficient exercise adaptations (such as hypertrophy), the data isn't really all that skewed. The vast majority of those obese individuals are just huge NFL players - they're people with 40% body fat, eating 6000 calories per day. BMI is terrible for athletes, but is a semi-good indicator of health and health-related problems in the sedentary.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Jim Crowell

Profile:

By the way the article above is safe for work and families
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
True, but it's fairly accurate for populations...think about it, of the 250+lb people you see on a daily basis, how many of them are 250+ because they're built like a linebacker? Very few because most who are 250+ are there because they have bodyfat percentages in the 40-50% range. The portion of the population that trains correctly and seriously enough to build significant lean body mass is very small.

To the OP, there are plenty of efforts in place to fight obesity, unfortunately most center on drugs or semi-dangerous medical procedures rather than taking the common-sense approach of telling people to work out and eat healthy, unprocessed foods. Most people want the easy way out and "just don't have time to work out" or "just can't imagine giving up my sodas and desserts."

That's a very good point that people should think about before the criticize BMI. If we lived in a society where even 50% of the population ate well, followed a serious strength training or metabolic conditioning program, BMI would be totally irrelevant. But the fact is, less than 1% of the US (if I had to take a rough guess) falls into this category. If your typical American is "40lbs overweight," chances are, he needs to lose at least 40lbs of bodyfat.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
David Chavez

Profile:

USA Today posted this article recently about the perceptions surveyed Americans had regarding their weight and the types of food they eat..

W/F/S

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/fit...htm?csp=34news

An interesting read and here's a preview: "A third of overweight people, 55% of obese people and 59% of morbidly obese people felt they ate too much of the wrong types of food."

and..

"As for weight-loss interventions, the respondents deemed surgery the most effective method, followed by prescription drugs, then drugs and diet-food supplements obtained over-the-counter."
Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chavez View Post

"As for weight-loss interventions, the respondents deemed surgery the most effective method, followed by prescription drugs, then drugs and diet-food supplements obtained over-the-counter."
*facepalm*
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

At 6' tall, 221 lbs is considered obese. At 184 lbs, the person is overweight
At 5'9", 203 lbs is considered obese. At 169 lbs, the person is overweight.

I also seem to recall that the percentages were changed in the 80s and 90's. Something like 30 was overweight, then 27.5, now 25.... trying to find that information and will post today if/when I do.