CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
For some time now, I have been trying to adhere to the Crossfit protocol. This past summer I worked in Portland and took advantage of Scott Hagnas's CrossFit Portland. There I learned more about some of the exercises that I had previously written off, such as the handstand pushup, the muscleup, and the overhead squat. I had been going for a couple of weeks when I was hit with a pretty rough case of mono. I found myself, after three weeks of being almost bedridden, subsisting on massive amounts of sugar and very little sleep, to be in the worst shape I could remember being in. I had actually made a net gain in weight, but an increase in bodyfat. The sickness cost me a chance to go to Army Airborne School at the end of the summer. I finally returned to Crossfit Portland and put in a few hours of work over a week or so before I left for college.

Once I got to school, I started into the WODs. For roughly two months I've been doing them almost exactly to schedule. I have even been eating along Zone parameters, as often as I can. (I find it tremendously difficult to stick with the Zone diet at school, but I'm trying to find some sort of happy medium.) I had a PT test a month ago and, while I performed worse than I had hoped to, I was in far better shape than I had been immediately post-mono, when I couldn't jog more than a few hundred meters without feeling like I needed to be scraped off the pavement.

Anyway, the testimonial:
I am a member of an Army ROTC Ranger Challenge team. We practice a bunch of tactical tasks and a month and a half of early mornings culminate in a single day's event which is supposed to be a test of the mental and physical endurance of a team of cadets. I did this last year, as well. Maybe the competition was harder last year, and maybe it wasn't. Either way, I felt a marked increase in my overall energy level throughout the day, despite a horrible night's sleep the night before. At the end of the competition, I felt like I was only halfway done. My feet and shoulders were sore from the impact of jogging/stumbling along with the rucksack, but none of my muscles were sore and I didn’t feel particularly tired (at least until I went to lay down for a bit).

I attribute these benefits to Crossfit. My roommate and teammate attests to the same thing. I’m officially sold on the program. Anyway, I realize that the turning point for me actually came when I went into a Crossfit facility (in this case Crossfit Portland) and took a class. Before that point I had been doing my paltry best to adhere to the workouts, but some of it just looked silly. Now I attack them with a good deal more confidence. I still have a long way to go before I start to meet my fitness goals, but I am well on my way to getting back into the shape I was before my illness, mostly due to this website. I encourage anyone who is having trouble sticking to the WODs to start taking classes at their nearest Crossfit facility. I wasn’t too hot on paying money for “personal training” or anything like that, at first, but I now think that it was, and is, well worth the price.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Gordon-

Way to go, Gordon! Glad to hear you've recovered and are pushing on. If you are back in town for the holidays, be sure to stop by and get in a few workouts on me.

I hope to visit DC this spring, maybe we can do a WOD at the reflecting pool!

Take care,
Scott Hagnas
CrossFit Portland