CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

Just back from US Nationals in Kansas City, the annual Scottish Highland Games Open Invitational Championships for men under 190lbs. I've qualified and been invited each of the last 5 years and also placed in the top 5 each year.

This year, I finished ahead of athletes half my age from Vermont to Texas but behind other youngsters from Florida and Missouri. At 47 years, I was the second oldest of the 12 throwers. I felt strong and confident; withstood the heat and humidity well; stayed strong into the eight hour of the throwing competition even under the hot sun.

Going into this competition I split my training into CF GPP and my traditional throwing workouts. I gave myself 2 rest days before the competition this time and I feel like it helped my recovery. Based on my performance at the competition, I'll continue to balance and rebalance my workouts as I prepare for the upcoming World Championships in Scotland.

My plan right now for the next 5 weeks is to do the CF WOD just 3 days per week while ramping up my throwing to 6 days/week with Sundays/rest. Eight events will be competed but I'll focus on 2 to 4 motions in each workout. I'll also try to incorporate a CF style intensity to get as much done as possible.

Last year while preparing for the Masters World Championships, my GPP consisted stadium steps (singles, doubles and side-side) and oly lifting; and heavy throwing workout all summer for the September Championships. And I was happy to have a great performance, several PRs and 2nd place finish. This year the Worlds are in July so there's less time; have not been able to throw nearly as much due to rainy spring and I've committed to CF for GPP.

Now that I think about it, I may have to add some stadium steps back in for good luck.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome,

-Kevin
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

In review, my 28lb and 42lb weight for distance throws are my weak events right now. I'll try breaking the throwing motion for these two apart and focus on one critical moment, then putting it all back together to see if it helped. My idea ... throwing a lighter weight with more speed for high reps to help develop the "pop" at the end of the throw. I've got a small trailer tire that should weight around 10lbs... that's where I'll be for the next couple weeks ... out in the field throwing that tire around to see if I can improve the final release speed of the weights in competition.

-Kevin