CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 05-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Ryan McDaniel

Profile:
Gyms in Austin,TX

Hello everyone, I an new to crossfit and I am also new to the Austin area. I am looking for a gym in Austin, preferably the north side, that has all the stuff I need to workout. All of the chain gyms I have looked at are terrible. No bumper plates or plyo boxes or kettlebells. I would love to join an affiliate but I can't fit into their timeframes because they are all personal training style instead of open gym, and it would be hard for me to afford it right now. If anyone know of a good hardcore place to train please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan McDaniel
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Robbie Cooper

Profile:
Re: Gyms in Austin,TX

I don't know of any "open gym" affiliates or CrossFit gyms in Austin. I was a former member of Golds here in Austin, and can tell you that the 3-4 different ones I've used around Austin would not be conducive to getting in a CrossFit WoD.

In addition to my home garage gym, I also train at the CrossFit Central gym in central Austin, run by the total bad @ss Theil family (Jermemy, Zachary, and their sister Carey).

I think there is someone running a garage gym affiliate up in Cedar Park...don't know the name of it or if they have "open" hours or not.

Sorry, not much help answering your question, but just wanted to welcome you to Austin, which has a very large and active CrossFit community.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Ryan McDaniel

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome! So far Austin has been great. I came from New York where I froze to death all winter. I love the weather here and the hill country too. I guess I'll keep browsing the internet for regular gym in the area and checking them out. I must have visited 15 or so already. I would love to setup a garage gym, but that requires alot of $$$ too. I have a power rack, a bar w/ 350 lbs, and some dumbbells. I will use them when they apply but I don't have any bumper plates and a set of those seem to be outrageous. It doesn't matter. When there's a will there's a way.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

I second Robbie's recommendation of Crossfit Central - they really are first rate.

If you just want an inexpensive place to lift with bumper plates, platforms and chalk, try Hyde Park Gym. They don't have KBs as far as I know, but they do have some Dynamax med balls, lots of dumbbells, some pylo boxes and a few places to do pull-ups. But HPG is really not set up well for doing WODs.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

With the setup you already have, you should be able to do a fair amount of the WODs. I'm guessing that you could do pullups on your power rack, and you should be able to do most of the workouts with 350 lbs of weight. Don't let not having bumpers hold you back. A lot of people start without bumpers. I started with only iron. It definitely slowed me down on things like cleans, and i didn't ever want to push myself too hard on the overhead oly lifts. I got by though. Then when you can, supplement the iron weights with bumpers. Don't think you can't start until you have 300 lbs in bumpers.

I don't know what your housing arrangement is, but with what you already have, I would just spend the gym membership money on a bit of extra equipment and workout at home.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Ryan McDaniel

Profile:

I actually tried to setup the stuff I have today. I don't really have much space, but I could do some stuff. Crossfit Central is closest to me, but I started looking at the south Austin location. I am joining the Police Departmant and it is very close to the academy. There also seems to be an affiliate that teaches Krav Maga and Crossfit also. Does anyone here have any experience with either?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Neil Khant

Profile:

Check out CrossFit Austin

http://www.crossfitaustin.com/ WFS

See: Wes Kimball

Or look at the Affiliate page for one of the several in Austin area. I visited the Theil's in Feb. and they run a good show too.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Hi Ryan,
Welcome to Austin, and since I am an APD wife, welcome to the family! One of my husband's partners works out at Fit and Fearless, which is the Crossfit gym that teaches Krav Maga that you mentioned. She really enjoys it there. She mostly takes the Krav classes, but she said that she accidentally took a Crossfit class once and it really kicked her butt.
I would definitely build up your home gym, if I were you. Because if you're going to the academy and then probably be on night patrols, your schedule won't fit most gyms anyway. You're already ahead of the game with your power rack and iron. I manage to do most of my workouts with sandbags, 2 kbs, rings, and plyo boxes. I don't have the money for a bar and bumpers yet, but I'm still seeing results with what I have. Good Luck and just remember to relax when you're in the "House of Pain".
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Ryan McDaniel

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome. I am really looking forward to joining the APD. I actually found an affiliate up by me (Lakeway) that teaches Krav Maga and Crossfit, and I'm going to check them out tomorrow. I guess if I join one of them I can fill in the gaps with what I have at home when I miss days. As far as the academy, thanks for the encouraging heads up. I'm sure I will be fine on everything mental and physical since I have 5 years in the Marines behind me to set a foundation of mental and physical "abuse"! I take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Peter Keller

Profile:

Ryan, again, welcome to Austin.

I can vouch for both Crossfit Central and Crossfit Austin as being fantastic affiliates. Hyde Park Gym has a great rep as a hardcore gym, but I have never been there.

I do not know of any great options for an "open gym" with all the Crossfit gear, but I have made do at 24 hour (not a real good option) and the UT gyms (a better, but still imperfect option).

Keep in mind that when you workout at someone else gym, you are subject to their rules... so, I would really echo the suggestions to build your own gym. The affiliates in town really add much more value than simply providing the gear and location- and they charge for it too. So, if you just want the gear, buy it yourself! I built my gym for around $2k in gear over several years.

I hope you enjoy Austin. NY is fine, but I'd much rather live here!