CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: full body rehabilitation program?

Pretty much just chiming in to agree with Brendan here.

Cut out the running and take walks. You can row if you want, I wouldn't try to see if you can make yourself puke but short or long rows are fine IMO.

No Box jumps or any other silly crap. Jump roping is probably ok. Wallballs fine.

Bodybuilding isn't really a bad idea. Pretty much never a weight less than 15 reps, 15, 20 or 25 reps. Also don't do insane volume. 3-4 sets maybe. None of it should really be strenuous. RPE of nothing above 6 basically.

Definitely gotta sleep and eat. When you can sleep again sound, you can worry about training hard again. Not until then. Eat some carbs, eat some ice cream just don't get too crazy with it and eat all the junk food in sight. Some can be therapeutic not "Imma eat all of them to recover faster."

Feel free to nap if/when you can or just lay down. I haven't really been taking naps in a long time but I do like to lay down or in bed sometimes and read or just listen to music. Sometimes I'll watch tv and do mobility stuff while on the floor.

I might leave in bar work for snatches and clean jerks just so you don't completely forget them. Even this can be a bit stressful.

As long as you don't get silly with BW movements, you can probably do them. No kipping. Almost right between bodybuilding and play.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #12
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

When I feel really tired, with some sort of pain in one or more joints, nothing helps me more than a week or 2 without touching a barbell and doing anything else : hiking, swimming, playing some sort of non violent sports, even manual labour if it doesn't involve lifting really heavy sh*t.

The optimal time is when you are on vacation of course.

Combine this off time with good nutrition if you can, it will help to decrease any inflammation you got in your body.

Last remark > When you feel trashed, do not check your training only, check everything in your life : nutrition, sleep, stress (school/work, money, girlfriend/family), ...
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 AM   #13
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada Hassan View Post
6- eat at mantainence(was eating at a defect)
Is it me, or did this strike anyone else as a pretty terrible idea? For someone training hard, especially someone young and sort of at the beginner stage, isn't this pretty much the last thing you want to do?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #14
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Is it me, or did this strike anyone else as a pretty terrible idea? For someone training hard, especially someone young and sort of at the beginner stage, isn't this pretty much the last thing you want to do?
Absolutely.

When you are eating in a deficit you should cut your volume and intensity by around 1/3. You should certainly not be looking to increase strength and performance (although it can be possible). If you want to cut weight, cut weight and put performance on the backburner.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I expect it would be helpful to be in a calorie surplus for the first couple of weeks. If you are +500 you might gain a pound every week at most but your body will be better able to repair itself. Have to get out of starvation mode.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
Nada Hassan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
I was cutting weight the last 2 months ; my strength hasnt suffered at all though but i get what you mean ; for me the calorues i need to take in has always been a mystery that im looking to solve eating based on my calculated bmr and tdee has always caused me to gain weight . Apparently my tdee is 2556 cal and bmr is 1683 but if i eat more than 1700 i gain weight? Still cant figure it out!!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
I was cutting weight the last 2 months ; my strength hasnt suffered at all though but i get what you mean ; for me the calorues i need to take in has always been a mystery that im looking to solve eating based on my calculated bmr and tdee has always caused me to gain weight . Apparently my tdee is 2556 cal and bmr is 1683 but if i eat more than 1700 i gain weight? Still cant figure it out!!
If you gain weigth (fat I suppose) above 1700, maybe you should assess your level of stress.

When stress goes to the roof the TDEE can crash and you will become fatter just by looking at food.

Calculations on the calorie intake are, at best, rough estimations. The flow of your life can impact it so much (stress, activity level, sleep quality, ...) it is impossible to put a precise and definitive number on it.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #18
Nada Hassan

Profile:

Well it's been about 10 days of rest and im noticing something weird. Somehow my muscles feel more tired than when I was training. Its almost feels like DOMS ?? What coukd be tge reason for this?

Have been doing yoga everyday and rotator cuff exercises every other day. Will start doing some walking and running from tomorrow. And u have upped my calories to 2000 was eating around 1300-1500 and I actually have lost 2 pounds?? Could this be miscle but im assuning it wouldnt be this fast?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Weight can really vary day to day depending on diet. By actually eating more you might end up being more active throughout the day actually. I can't remember the term offhand but basically restricted caloric intake can inhibit activity level throughout the day. Which is why activity level can drop when on restricted calories (which of course most people would take stimulants to offset).

Well even yoga and RC work can create muscular damage through stretching and concentric/eccentric action (more so the RC work than the yoga). Traditional stretching can create some nasty DOMS at times for instance.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Well it's been about 10 days of rest and I'm noticing something weird. Somehow my muscles feel more tired than when I was training. Its almost feels like DOMS ?? What could be the reason for this?

Have been doing yoga everyday and rotator cuff exercises every other day. Will start doing some walking and running from tomorrow. And u have upped my calories to 2000 was eating around 1300-1500 and I actually have lost 2 pounds?? Could this be muscle but I'm assuming it wouldn't be this fast?
No you didn't loose 2 pounds of lean muscle in 10 days. Most likely just normal fluctuation. Keep calories at the 2000 range for a couple of more weeks and see how you feel.

The fatigue you feel probably is your central nervous system slowing down enough to detect what was already there. You were tired and beat up but your central nervous system was so jacked up you couldn't feel it. Feeling it is a sign of beginning to recover.