CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Adrianna Weir

Profile:
Paleo + Eating Disorder?

I am not new to cross fit, or athletics. I was a varsity cross country runner, and have been doing crossfit and olympic lifting on my own for two years (nursing school is not conducive to box times, so I have a regular gym membership). I have a history of an eating disorder, that made a huge impact on my abilities in sports two years ago, but I want to start eating paleo. I am worried that this will trigger my ED. Does anyone have any experience in this, or know someone who does? I just find that i already do not eat grains, and I simply do not have enough energy to do my two workouts/day, and I am wondering if the higher fat on paleo would help me in this respect. Does anyone have some good resources?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
Fergal Jennings

Profile:
Re: Paleo + Eating Disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianna Weir View Post
I am not new to cross fit, or athletics. I was a varsity cross country runner, and have been doing crossfit and olympic lifting on my own for two years (nursing school is not conducive to box times, so I have a regular gym membership). I have a history of an eating disorder, that made a huge impact on my abilities in sports two years ago, but I want to start eating paleo. I am worried that this will trigger my ED. Does anyone have any experience in this, or know someone who does? I just find that i already do not eat grains, and I simply do not have enough energy to do my two workouts/day, and I am wondering if the higher fat on paleo would help me in this respect. Does anyone have some good resources?
Hey! firstly I'm glad you're very open about it, I suffer from an ED but I've always found it hard to talk about. Honestly, I think you should have nothing to worry about on paleo. Try and research into things and ensure that your eating enough. What I found with an ED you tend to under eat due to misjudgement but you have to realise that all the stuff you eat on paleo is good stuff and you basically cannot over do it on veggies, fats and meats especially if your doing some strenuous workouts.

I found that I worked better on higher carbs after a while and i slowly introduced more carb dense foods back into my diet. I added squash then moved up to sweet potatoes. Now I'm testing porridge to break out of the mould so that I don't get too strict and obsessed.

Usually I try to eat enough so I don't feel hungry, I've noticed if I do it can kick off a junk food binge and cravings, so i guess listen to your body and try not to over think everything!

But as I found paleo worked well with my ED I didn't have to worry about eating "bad food" through time, but Ive learned to allow myself room for some of it from time to time. I'd recommend checking out the whole30 also, that helped big time!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Cheryl Nasso is a good friend, coaches at Crossfit New England and has been pretty open about her story. http://games.crossfit.com/article/83...s-cheryl-nasso
Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Adrianna Weir

Profile:

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Usually my WODs are a warm up with kettlebells, wallballs, box jumps, rowing or runs, then I do oly lifts for triples or doubles and some squats, and then I do a met con. How did you feel re-introducing carbs? That is where I struggle, even though I know eating more carbs will only help my performance.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Adrianna Weir

Profile:

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Fergal Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianna Weir View Post
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Usually my WODs are a warm up with kettlebells, wallballs, box jumps, rowing or runs, then I do oly lifts for triples or doubles and some squats, and then I do a met con. How did you feel re-introducing carbs? That is where I struggle, even though I know eating more carbs will only help my performance.
I PM'd you!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Frank Fusco

Profile:

You're definitely not alone.

Amy Kubal a Registered Dietician that follows and promotes Paleo recently wrote an article about her battle with Anorexia and the role Paleo played in it. You can read it here: http://tinyurl.com/kvckmjw (wfs)

You can also check out the writings of Emily Deans, a psychiatrist that writes about evolutionary psychology and Paleo. In this article she discusses Orthorexia in the Paleo community:
http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...community.html (wfs)

I think she puts it well when she states,
Quote:
Should people with previous eating disorders be eating "paleo" or "primal" or in any sort of restrictive way? For some eating disordered folks (check out the Friday success stories at Mark's Daily Apple), eating paleo/primal has freed them from food obsessions and health problems. For others, an overly strict paleo approach might be a ticket back to majorly disordered behavior.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Steven Thunander

Profile:

If you need caloric guidance, you can always pair the Paleo and Zone diets together.