CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
David Osorio

Profile:
Re: Coaches Sleeping With Coaches/Clients -- How to Handle?

Fire them.

It's natural for relationships to sometimes spring up at your affiliate, I mean, we're all human, right? But what you're describing is seriously problematic and something that could compromise the comfort of members at your gym as well as your gym's larger reputation.

I would cut them loose ASAP and then use this as an opportunity to discuss what is and is not appropriate behavior with your other coaches.

This doesnt mean you need to micromanage people's personal lives, but behavior like this is neither professional nor constructive to the larger goals of your gym and community.

Last edited by David Osorio : 01-22-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Josh Groves

Profile:

When I knew I had developed a romantic interest in a member, I approached the gym owners privately and asked them for permission before asking the member on a date. We discussed the potential pros and cons of the situation and (thankfully) came to an agreement that resulted in my eventual marriage.

I think that there's definitely room for romance, but it needs to be on the terms of the business owner. The situations in the original post reek of college hook up culture which has no place in a business and there should be no question about firing those that have slept with others that are married.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #23
Brian Diez

Profile:

I'm dealing with the repercussions of this situation now.

I fired 2 coaches, one of whom opened a box 2 miles from me.

He got back together with the 3rd coach (innocent one) and convinced her to leave and solicit all my clients on her way out.

I've lost a significant amount of business as a result.

Get rid of them.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Gotta love CrossFit drama.

Sorry to hear about your situation...
Old 01-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Diez View Post

He got back together with the 3rd coach (innocent one) and convinced her to leave and solicit all my clients on her way out.

Get rid of them.
This is why I wish there was a clause in the Cf agreement that didn't allow this.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #26
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
So you are not the Affiliate Rachel so when you say "our" gym not sure if you have any ability to act on this issue?

This is my personal opinion strictly but it is what I enforce in my gym:

1. If the coach or they are married it will cost the coach their job. This wouldn't apply in the case of a separation, ending marriage. I would consider that person single even if the paper work hadn't caught up.

2. Any coach that hits on multiple members is gone instantly. Male coaches will be given less slack. My gym has to be a safe place for women.

3. Two single coaches is going to happen. It would be simpler if it didn't but the reality is CrossFitters are attracted to other CrossFitters. We tend to meet our mates from the place we are most often. For many of us that is a CrossFit gym. As in any other profession if it doesn't workout both parties must act professionally at work and deal with it on their own time. It can never be allowed to effect the product the members receives. This has lead to many happy long term relationships and marriages in the CrossFit world.

4. Single coach/single member. I like the "1 and done" idea. I have a very attractive, now single female coach. She spends a lot of her free time at the gym working out or coaching. When she was a member she dated another member for over a year. It ended after she became a coach for me. I think he just wasn't the "1" so she moved on. He is still a member with us and while we had a rough 2 months everyone seems to be doing better now. Not sure which guys are single but I can think of a couple who are attractive, similar education, the right age.

A good CrossFit gym is about community. My gym is in an area with young families. Finding a true match and great relationship is not to be taken lightly, I don't want to stand in the way of this possibly happening.

If your gym is in an area of young single folks then there will be more of this. Just demographics.

I have also seen a fair amount of what I would call the upgrade effect. Woman comes into CrossFit. Starts to get more confident as she gets stronger. Self esteem goes up and sooner or later she looks at the guy she has been with and realizes she can do better. Better is often a fellow CrossFitter. Really this is a huge success with a female member or coach.
Some excellent advice here... I've seen first hand an affiliate and coach lose members and credibility due to inappropriate behavior with married and non married clients; the affiliate being the vessel for said activity. Based on my observations, cut ties, and do so swiftly. Who wants their significant other going to an affiliate that is known for being a "meat market." It is our duty as affiliate owners to provide a safe environment for our clients!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Diez View Post

Get rid of them.
Hmmmmmm. This does bring up an interesting legal question though.

The Affiliate agreement may not stop this from happening, but is there anything in the agreement that would prohibit a gym from having their coaches sign an NDA?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Hmmmmmm. This does bring up an interesting legal question though.

The Affiliate agreement may not stop this from happening, but is there anything in the agreement that would prohibit a gym from having their coaches sign an NDA?
You may not be allowed to have coaches sign a non-compete, however, there is nothing that I know of that states you cannot have employees or contractors sign a non-solicitation clause. Proof would be easy, copies of emails and texts. A lawsuit for loss of wages for your business would be rather simple to follow.

Lesson learned. Sorry to hear about that. We had something similar occur, but thankfully, less than 5 members had left for the other affiliate. Perhaps a bit of Karma, as they are not out of business after 2 years.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Correction. I meant a non compete. Not an NDA.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #30
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Correction. I meant a non compete. Not an NDA.
It has been a while since I read mine, but I'm pretty sure that this is forbidden in the affiliate agreement.
However, as a gym owner (employer) you can very easily have an employment agreement (contract) with your coaches that forbids fraternization.
It is common to see such things in various workplaces/industries.