CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #51
Louis Day

Profile:
Re: Is the Zone a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Nvm. We seem to agree on most points, it's just a matter of semantics. What Chan, et al, are doing is tweaked so far that it isn't really the Zone. I don't think you need to go so far as to weigh your food considering your age and your level of activity. I think maintaining a balanced nutrient ratio is much easier than putting everything to a scale.
Well if you read Chan's prescription it isn't too different to Zone. Just some added fat and has a different PWO.

My current plan is
Crossfit 5AM
I'm probably gonna eat a 4-5 traditional zone block meal, and then eat a nice sized lunch. At around 12:00 PM. Swimming maybe at 6:00 PM (I'd rather do it earlier but marching band fuuuuu), along with a post workout (4 grams protein, 3 grams carb) and a medium sized dinner afterwards. 3-4 Block Dinner.

Any comments? I'm still seinf low calorie maybe 2500 calories. I'll probably eat a larger dinner to even out.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #52
Michael Dries

Profile:

You seem hell bent on doing the zone but I'm just going to make this suggestion.

For a week, don't think about changing your diet, just track it. Get a scale and use an app/site like myfitnesspal to track your calories and macros for a week.

If you currently have no idea what you're consuming, picking an arbitrary number like 2500 calories could harm your performance or make you gain weight. Just because Matt Chan eatings 2500 calories a day (doubtful, look at my analysis above), doesn't mean it's appropriate for your body/build/metabolism/activity level.

It makes a lot more sense to take a base line and say ok I'm eating x,xxx calories a day and I'm seeing THIS level of performance. From there make small but consistent changes and see how it effects your performance.

Those are my 2cents but like the hodge twins say, do whatever the .... you wanna do.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #53
Louis Day

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
You seem hell bent on doing the zone but I'm just going to make this suggestion.

For a week, don't think about changing your diet, just track it. Get a scale and use an app/site like myfitnesspal to track your calories and macros for a week.

If you currently have no idea what you're consuming, picking an arbitrary number like 2500 calories could harm your performance or make you gain weight. Just because Matt Chan eatings 2500 calories a day (doubtful, look at my analysis above), doesn't mean it's appropriate for your body/build/metabolism/activity level.

It makes a lot more sense to take a base line and say ok I'm eating x,xxx calories a day and I'm seeing THIS level of performance. From there make small but consistent changes and see how it effects your performance.

Those are my 2cents but like the hodge twins say, do whatever the .... you wanna do.
Actually what you pointed out is one of the only reasons I was doing the Zone to track how my body reacts to a certain amount of calories a certain ratio of micronutrients, etc.

Maybe if someone could maybe give me a basic day of someone eating with my activity level? So I have a good baseline?

My current activities:
Crossfit (Probably 5am)
Swimming (6PM-8PM)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #54
Louis Day

Profile:

EditEditEditDerpderp
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #55
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Day View Post
Actually what you pointed out is one of the only reasons I was doing the Zone to track how my body reacts to a certain amount of calories a certain ratio of micronutrients, etc.

Maybe if someone could maybe give me a basic day of someone eating with my activity level? So I have a good baseline?

My current activities:
Crossfit (Probably 5am)
Swimming (6PM-8PM)
to help we would need more info. age, weight, height for starters. and basic daily activity or what a normal week schedule looks like. you say that you only do swimming and CF? but what does that mean? what does the training for each look like? do you know your bodyfat? and then you mention marching band which is additional activity. do you do alot of walking around town or riding your bike to get to the places you go? how often do you play pick up games of ball or get together with friends for frisbee? etc etc?

there are all sorts of calculators online you can google that will give you estimates for daily calorie needs and basic metabolic rates.