CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Damon Greenfield

Profile:
Stroke risk and crossfit

Has anyone read any articles or studies about people who are higher risk for strokes and doing HIIT programming ?

I been doing crossfit for over 2 years and have been out of it for a year now for many reasons.

Strokes run very high in my family in older years , like 60 ish to 80's in age.
My entire family , everyone used to drink , or still do drink. Beer, liquor.. I myself never was a drinker nor do i drink, i hate it.

Im 40 years old now and am planning to start crossfit again in a couple weeks. My concern is , as i am growing older I am weary if I should be doing work outs that make your vessel pump so hard and fast. Even though the benefits of crossfit are great, is it that great to where you can blow out an vein in your head or something ?

I googles strokes and crossfit, but the only thing i can find are articles about strokes as a movement like in rowing, or moving weight .

If anyone knows any articles or is a professional and has an opinion I would like to hear it.

Also since being gone so long from crossfit, i need to figure out how to ease myself back into it. I cant go just jerking weight around .
WHich I did back in july, I did a 135 power snatch , which felt good, but later on that day my arm had all these little purple vessels ( looked like tiny veins ) all through my forarm showing. The next day my forearm was black and blue and my arm felt weird for weeks. Imi guessing I blew out some vessels. I have never had that issue before, but then again I was in crossfit shape. I want to ease myself with out doing damage like that. I need to figure out how ot get my muscles used to the movements again with out over doing it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Stroke risk and crossfit

I think you need to sit and discuss this with your md. If you have that strong of a family history, a decent cardiovascular work up would be a start, getting clearence on your blood pressure, cholesterol level, and cardiac function.ie EKG.
Yes, lifestyle plays a major role in the issue, but genetics is bigger.

Once cleared, and you ease into your intensity levels, you maybe doing the best thing for prevention.

But to go looking for stats on crossfit induced strokes.... Highly doubt that your going to find anything. That type of info is not tracked unless someone out there is specifically looking for that kind of thing.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Damon Greenfield

Profile:

I figured as much. I have been fine with crossfit for over 2 years, and never felt anything that would cause concern.
Getting back into crossfit after a very long break I know to take it slow and easy.
I was just curious if crossfit , regardless of being in shape or not can increase risk of blowing out some vessels in the head or some other place, since a lot of moves are with so much power and intensity.

Thanks though.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

It's not the vessel to be concerned about, It's the plaque that breaks off and floats around then stops the flow of blood to the brain.
See a doctor. Regardless.