CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Jonathan Groves

Profile:
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
1. Life is not fair.
2. Doing something that is not "community like" is different than illegal. Trainers up and leave affiliates, and open their own. Such behavior is not "community like", but not illegal.
Lol.

I'm really to the point now it does not matter. If the thread could be closed that would be great.

There is so much more to the story without putting other peoples business its just not worth posting and arguing about it here.

I got a phone call today. Discussed it with esther and I'm done discussing it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #32
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
So you'll essentially just keep doing what got you denied in the first place. Offering CrossFit under a different name to protect yourself legally.
Circuit training has been around far longer than CrossFit has existed.

CrossFit did do a great job of bringing it mainstream and to the masses. Regardless, it's still circuit training.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
Luke Conner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Circuit training has been around far longer than CrossFit has existed.

CrossFit did do a great job of bringing it mainstream and to the masses. Regardless, it's still circuit training.
So you're saying I've been paying all this money for something that's no better than the circuit training I can get by paying $25 a month at a globo gym? Wow, I've been so deceived.

I suppose my wife can just go back to Curves, since they offer circuit training. I'm surprised none of the ladies at Curves have competed in the CrossFit games, what with them basically being the same thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Now you're just being silly.

What I was saying, is that CrossFit does not have a monopoly on circuit training; which it seemed like you meant by saying "Offering CrossFit under a different name to protect yourself legally".
Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #35
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

This thread probably should be closed...but CrossFit is much more than Circuit Training...That's borderline offensive.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Joey Dussel

Profile:

If affiliating was truly what you wanted to do, you would do everything needed to meet HQ's expectations--even if you didn't agree with them or the reasoning for them. I don't see that happening.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
Jonathan Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dussel View Post
If affiliating was truly what you wanted to do, you would do everything needed to meet HQ's expectations--even if you didn't agree with them or the reasoning for them. I don't see that happening.
We did and we still are despite all that. Even taking a lot of shots from the other "box" in the area. Oh well.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
Michael McMahon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
So you're saying I've been paying all this money for something that's no better than the circuit training I can get by paying $25 a month at a globo gym? Wow, I've been so deceived.

I suppose my wife can just go back to Curves, since they offer circuit training. I'm surprised none of the ladies at Curves have competed in the CrossFit games, what with them basically being the same thing.
That's not what was said. Crossfit met cons ARE a form of circuit training. While I would say that they are a better form of circuit training than the local globo gym's it needs to be acknowledged that is what they are. Over the years I still do not understand why/how people elevate Crossfit to something it is not. The ideas that comprise Crossfit are not new nor were they when Crossfit was founded. It was the integration of the ideas that was new.

In addition depending on where you are training the Crossfit WOD you & your wife follow bears little resemblance to that followed by anyone at the games as has been discussed in other posts so your Curves comment is irrelevant.

To the OP, this board is a community while Crossfit has become a business, a very profitable business that is going to protect that name and the commercial success that it has gained.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #39
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Personally, I think this circuit training topic needs to be dropped right now, as readers are seem pretty spun up after looking through the other posts and are then not able to be quite so open to sarcasm, joking tones, etc.

Also, I usually think that anything with "Fit" tacked onto the end of it seems like an attempt to profit from CrossFit's success. Sometimes it's not, but usually it is.

-Joey