CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
David Bloomquist

Profile:
Restarting

I started Crossfit last April, did really great, going 3-4 times a week. That is until October. I've been type I diabetic since I was 8 and have been waiting for a kidney transplant for just over 3 years (but still not on dialysis, which I owe to crossfitting and God). I was having weird pains in my shoulders that were getting increasingly worse. I finally had to go to the ER, where they suspected I was having a heart attack. I ended up having a heart cath where they found a blockage and put in a stent, but no actual heart attack. They said no Crossfit until I was cleared by the cardiologist. Instead I had to go to cardiac rehab where they had me walking a treadmill at 2.4 for 12 minutes 3 times a week. I finally go the okay to resume "my regular workout routine" this week I started back up yesterday and am so feeling it today. I was working out at 6AM, and I have to admit I've gotten used to sleeping later. It may be challenge to get myself back into the correct mindset to get motivated when it seems everyone else is still sleeping.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Jen Greenwich

Profile:
Re: Restarting

Due to a knee injury, my schedule was all screwed up. I would have PT in the morning, so would work later in the evening and then get home late. I have a lot of flexibility in my hours, so 11 became the new starting time for me.

I have a really hard time adjusting schedules, so what I did was just wait until a Monday. For me, it's easier to go to bed early on Sunday since I don't work very late. And then I try to get up earlier Monday, to get everything started sooner. It was definitely an incremental thing for me. Like a half hour a week. Eventually you just get back to the old routine, which then becomes routine again.

Now, I'm different since I work out in the evenings, and obviously my injury was super minor compared to your health problems, but I hope it helps. Good luck with everything!