CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
WOD with a cold?

I've got a bad sinus/upper repiratory cold and I'm on antibiotics. I worked out yesterday and did poorly and had a bad headache afterwards. I hate missing a day or two of working out. Don't know if I'm trying to talk myself out of going to workout or just using common sense.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Scott Kraatz

Profile:
Re: WOD with a cold?

Take the day off. A missed workout in the grand scheme of things is nothing. You may end up causing yourself to feel sicker and miss several workouts.

I'm in a similar situation today. I feel something (cold maybe) coming on and I opted to sleep late today (I WOD in the AM) and skip my workout. I have a gym at work and was going to try to workout here but I think I'll pass.

Let you body recover.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

i tried doing a wod with a cold and i would not recommend it to anybody. i felt like crap midway and honestly, i did not gain anything by even attempting to workout. give your body a rest and let it try to fight off the cold, it doesn't need the added stress from working out.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

I didn't do a CF WOD today. Went to the doctor and I have bronchitis. That probably would have negatively impacted my performance today. Do ya think?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Yeah, fairly sure. LOL

I've found that on the days I'm sick like that, I'm more likely to benefit from something very low key, such as fast walking, yoga, stretching, etc., because at least I can maintain that.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

I'm a big proponent of rest days when you feel sick. Aside from spreading any possible infection, it's not the best for your body.

The way I see it is that rest days are just as important as training days. I use the sick days to get extra sleep, which for me is as important (and at times more so) than my nutrition for optimum performance.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

I've been resting since last Thursday, but I have had some activity. Trying toi decide if I'm gonna try it today or not. Still not 100% right now.