CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Steve Boutcher

Profile:
Extreme soreness, experienced athlete

Hi guys,

I've been doing crossfit for about 4 years. I've did the WOD "Diane" on saturday. I set a new PR and felt awesome. No issues what so ever. A bit sore the day after, but nothing unusual. The very next day I had planned to do "Angie" with a buddy of mine. As mentioned I was slightly sore from Diane, but I wasn't concerned (been there 1000 times before).

I did "Angie". I felt good during the WOD and set again a new PR by about a minute and a half. Despite having done Angie 3x before this time I felt a lot more fatigued than the other times. I also performed the butterfly pull this time on almost all of the pull ups. I did not do this the other times.

I am now experiencing soreness like I have never experienced before. It's really quite extreme. My biceps/forearms are absolutely annihilated. I am a little concerned because I'm quite experienced in crossfit and have competed and push my body to the limit many times before but never, ever come close to this my pain after a WOD. It feels just like normal DOMs (muscle soreness) only 50 times more painful.

I couldn't sleep properly due to the pain and I cannot do anything useful with my arms, they are quite useless at the moment. I can obviously type, but lifting my arms, brushing my teeth, putting on a jumper are all very painful.

Just just extreme muscle soreness or perhaps mild Rhabdo???

Thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Mike Darlington

Profile:
Re: Extreme soreness, experienced athlete

I have no medical expertise whatsoever, but given you don't have any other signs of rhabdo, it's probably just extreme muscle soreness. Doing such a high volume of butterfly pull ups in a short period of time is going to tax your forearms/biceps more than kipping pull ups, especially if it's the first time you've done butterflies at that volume. I'm coming down off of a similar experience where I couldn't sleep due to extreme soreness, but after 5 days I'm starting to feel better.

I would take some time to rest, take some anti-inflam, and try to stretch out as much as you can without too much pain.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

go see someone, there is something called compartment syndrome which could need attention
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Steve Boutcher

Profile:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. Just to let you know... It was Rhabdo. Had to spend the night in the hospital. They hooked me up to an IV drip and pumped 9 liters of fluids through me. I had a CK level of 20,000 at the most. When I arrived there were no rooms available so a had bed in the corridor. Had to **** 200ml every hour through the night, I received diuretics to help with that.

They thought I would have to be in for longer, but my CK levels came down quite quickly. I never got the famous "cola urine". The main symptom was extreme soreness in my arms and lats. Think the most sore you have ever been x100 = Rhabdo sore. Very painful It's now 2 days later and there is now significant swelling in my right arm. It looks like lots of fluid hanging from my arm in a bag. Not nice.

Slowly getting better but the crossfit competition I should have been competing in in 2 weeks looks unlikely
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Mike Darlington

Profile:

Damn dude, glad you got it checked out and everything's okay.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Jonathan Munoz

Profile:

Thats crazy...what was your angie time?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Steve Loeding

Profile:

so - was your PR Angie time worth it ???
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Steve Boutcher

Profile:

Thanks guys.

My time was 19.26 minutes so the time was not great, but is was a PR. I've since done the Angie again without any problems. I just wasn't ready to do 100 butterfly pull ups
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I would not worry about the up coming comp. There is always another comp. Just focus on getting well and back to training. Glad you are ''ok''.