CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Matt B Johnson

Profile:
Question about my funky diet

I've been on a weird diet for quite a while now due to my weird work schedules and how easy it makes it to pack my lunches. I work in public safety and am on the go for twelve hour shifts and cannot count on having a microwave or a place to keep my food cold (my cooler full of ice is usually melted 3/4 the way through my shift). I count all my macros every day and usually eat about 180-220 grams of protein, around 200 carbs, and 30 or 40 grams of fat a day. A lot of my protein comes from canned chicken and i eat a lot of canned green beans and unsweetened apple sauce cause of the ease of just carrying a can opener and not having to cook them. I also carry clif bars and peanut butter bagels and stuff. Any advice or anything wrong with this?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Question about my funky diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B Johnson View Post
I've been on a weird diet for quite a while now due to my weird work schedules and how easy it makes it to pack my lunches. I work in public safety and am on the go for twelve hour shifts and cannot count on having a microwave or a place to keep my food cold (my cooler full of ice is usually melted 3/4 the way through my shift). I count all my macros every day and usually eat about 180-220 grams of protein, around 200 carbs, and 30 or 40 grams of fat a day. A lot of my protein comes from canned chicken and i eat a lot of canned green beans and unsweetened apple sauce cause of the ease of just carrying a can opener and not having to cook them. I also carry clif bars and peanut butter bagels and stuff. Any advice or anything wrong with this?
There are a lot of threads for police officers, etc on duty who have found good solutions for this. Just do a quick search.

What is your body composition? What does your workout schedule look like? What are your goals?

IMO, at a quick glance there are two issues I have with your diet. First, you most likely need more fat. Secondly, I think you should mix up your protein source - hard boil some eggs, get some jerky, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Matt B Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
There are a lot of threads for police officers, etc on duty who have found good solutions for this. Just do a quick search.

What is your body composition? What does your workout schedule look like? What are your goals?

IMO, at a quick glance there are two issues I have with your diet. First, you most likely need more fat. Secondly, I think you should mix up your protein source - hard boil some eggs, get some jerky, etc.
Right now Im about 5'9" tall 180lbs and I am eating about 1800 calories a day to try to reach my goal. My goal is to loose fat to get below 10% bodyfat (I'm probably around 15% TOPS). I have a muscular build and want to retain that, but shift from bodybuilding style workouts to more of a crossfit style. I hope to be able to join a crossfit gym later this year if money allows.

I really like eating chicken and thats why I eat so much of it. Every once in a while I'll switch it up with some turkey or tuna.

Last edited by Matt B Johnson : 08-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

To critique your current diet, there's not much variation. Unless you compensate for that with your off-duty meals, it'll limit your goals due to random missing nutrients.

To help improve your current diet, pretty much anything you have for dinner can be eaten the next day. Steak & salad for dinner? Put it in a tupperware for lunch the next day - it doesn't need to be reheated, and it'll last fine w/o cooling too. Ditto for chili, meatloaf, fish, casserole, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Don't eat so much canned and packaged stuff. It's pumped with preservatives and salt. Cook the food and take it. Eat it cold if you have to, everything still tastes good cold.