CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Karl Gray

Profile:
Body composition questions

I began Crossfit about 6 months ago - my weightloss journey began a couple of years ago at 290 and I was down around 205 +- when I began Crossfit.

In my weight loss journey I was always more concerned with physical appearance rather than simply what the scale says..

That said I recently compared my current measurements with those from 6 months ago. I have found that I am larger in the chest, abdomen, waist, and hips than I was 6 months ago. Mainly its about an inch different than 6 months ago. Additionally I am smaller in the thigh, knee calf, neck and shoulders than I was 6 months ago. (Bicep and forearm both measure larger than pre-Crossfit)

6 months ago when I plugged my measurements into the US Navy body fat calc, I was 13.3. Now when I do it it puts me above 17.

I currently weigh 217 - is it reasonable to think the the gain in size in the areas I have achieved is a muscle gain from training using heavy weight and Olympic lifts, rather than just simple curls and presses? Does anyone else have similar experience of their BF% going up on calculators even though you feel much stronger than before Crossfit?

Thanks,

Karl
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Body composition questions

Tough to say but charts are usually full of crap. You need to find someone with a good history of caliper testing. You are probably 17+ even though you want it to be lower. I did a BIA, Bod-pod, UWW, and calipers. 3 were around 18% and the BIA was 10.1%. Get another test done.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If you have gained weight, it is because you have been eating more calories than you are burning. That simple. I'd start by tracking your food and seeing exactly how many calories you are eating per day. I'd recommend eating for maintenance while doing CrossFit and the workouts should burn enough calories to put you in a deficit and you will lose bodyfat again. After a few weeks if you still aren't losing weight/fat, drop your calories by 50-100 calories and continue.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Sam Sang Won Lee

Profile:

Hey...
You know the thing with the scale is just for personal satisfaction.
People want to be within a certain range. When i began crossfit, I was about
78kg and after about 6 months and now I am at 74. ONLY 4 KG difference!!!
As far as appearance, I look completely different and people around me are telling me this. I think its because my body fat has turned to muscle and because muscle is heavier, the weight hasnt changed. Now for you, if you feel stronger but your BF is going up then it might be your diet. Are you eating well and the right stuff?For me, it was the diet that helped. If you are a big guy to begin with, then the diet might have a bigger effect if you combined it with the nutrition. Maybe you're continuously building muscle without burning fat. Know what I mean? If you are always doing olympic lifting, try adding more cardio to your workouts. Hope I contributed some insight.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Fat cannot turn into muscle...
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Bicep and forearm both measure larger than pre-Crossfit
Sounds like you have simply gotten bigger.

Compare some pictures when you were 205+ and now.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Gray View Post
I began Crossfit about 6 months ago - my weightloss journey began a couple of years ago at 290 and I was down around 205 +- when I began Crossfit.

In my weight loss journey I was always more concerned with physical appearance rather than simply what the scale says..

That said I recently compared my current measurements with those from 6 months ago. I have found that I am larger in the chest, abdomen, waist, and hips than I was 6 months ago. Mainly its about an inch different than 6 months ago. Additionally I am smaller in the thigh, knee calf, neck and shoulders than I was 6 months ago. (Bicep and forearm both measure larger than pre-Crossfit)

6 months ago when I plugged my measurements into the US Navy body fat calc, I was 13.3. Now when I do it it puts me above 17.

I currently weigh 217 - is it reasonable to think the the gain in size in the areas I have achieved is a muscle gain from training using heavy weight and Olympic lifts, rather than just simple curls and presses? Does anyone else have similar experience of their BF% going up on calculators even though you feel much stronger than before Crossfit?

Thanks,

Karl
What were you doing relative to training prior to CrossFit?