CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Powders

Btw, I just don't know how, but Nitrean+ mixes like you wouldn't imagine. I mean, I can use two scoops for 240ml of water and it mixes just fine. Somebody over there knows their chemistry.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I've never tried AtLarge's proteins but I can tell you I had GREAT results with their Results product. I would have NO problem trying the Nitrean or Nitrean+ products. I tend to stick to what I like and it's really a hard mental thing to get past that and try something new, but I would try them.

I have taken ON's Pro Complex for a long time, probably around 5 years or so. It's actually the only protein I've bought for at least the last 3 years (was given some here or there and tried a few others, but pretty much this is it). It's actually hard for me to believe that there's a better tasting cholcolate protein out there than this stuff, it's really good but that could be it's cause I mix it into chocolate milk. I only use 2 scoops a day on most days (1 in the morning and 1 at night ASAP after working out), 3 scoops if I'm trying to pack on some pounds (1 in the morning, 2 ASAP after working out).

That being said, there are some REALLY bad products out there, and some REALLY good ones out there. Do your research.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Andrew, I think the ON product is a good one. In terms of taste, I have tried it and thought it was pretty good. I think you would find Nitrean or Nitrean+ comparable (no way to know for sure as taste is so subjective).
Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Dan Thomas

Profile:

I like Nitrean+ much better than Nitrean. Mixes better, and not as thick or sweet, in my opinion.

I've also used ON 100% whey and their natural whey, Universal, BSN stuff, Gaspari Myofusion, EAS, and a bunch of others.

Nitrean+ is my favorite, by a long shot.

Couple its mixability, taste, and chemistry with the fact that Chris will answer pretty much any question you have whether it's about his products or not (or training, or equipment, or whatever), and you have a winner.

DT

Last edited by Dan Thomas : 05-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Bob Herald

Profile:

I wasn't meaning to bad talk your product , Chris. I guess I just assumed protein powder was protein powder. If its something that will make a difference over the store bought proteins, then I'm willing to invest the money. I may try the nitrean +. Although I'm not a fat of sweet things. So if the + is less sweet then that may be better.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
I wasn't meaning to bad talk your product , Chris. I guess I just assumed protein powder was protein powder. If its something that will make a difference over the store bought proteins, then I'm willing to invest the money. I may try the nitrean +. Although I'm not a fat of sweet things. So if the + is less sweet then that may be better.
Oh, I didn't think you were, no worries (but thanks for being kind enough to say that).

Here is the honest truth. To a degree you are correct. Milk based protein powders are not going to vary dramatically in efficacy. The biggest difference in products has to do with the quality of the ingredients. That can vary from protein content by weight to the ingredients used for flavoring etc. to how easy the product is to mix. A blend of whey and casein WILL provide for a superior net protein state after ingestion.

Something I think a lot of people don't consider is you can use less of a higher quality product than the cheap stuff and get just as good or better results which makes the former just as good or better of a value than the latter.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Mike Strickland

Profile:

Happy Nitrean & Nitrean+ user here.

I've also got Progenex around the house. They win for best chocolate taste, but definitely don't win when it comes to price.

Another +1 for Chris and his products. He provides great customer service and quality, clean product. I just ordered a tub of Nitrean+ (vanilla) today and I'm looking forward to trying the new and improved vanilla.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Adam Fisk

Profile:

I just ordered my first batch of Nitrean, I was previously using isopure which tasted great but I think was giving my digestion issues.

I didn't think there was any difference in Nitrean and Nitrean+ except for the size because I couldn't find a Nitrean+ as a 2 pound option.

Are there any other differences between the two other than sweetness (as I saw posted above)?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

From the Nitrean+ website:

"What separates Nitrean+ from Nitrean are the inclusion of more whey isolate and a supplemental addition of the branched chain amino acid leucine creating a class leading 5g of leucine per 30g serving. Leucine is a very potent and unique amino acid which has been demonstrated in the lab to stimulate protein synthesis (in doses less than 5g) to an equivalent degree to whole proteins. In other words, the additional leucine in Nitrean+ acts as a supercharger helping to optimize the body’s response to intense training*."
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
From the Nitrean+ website:

"What separates Nitrean+ from Nitrean are the inclusion of more whey isolate and a supplemental addition of the branched chain amino acid leucine creating a class leading 5g of leucine per 30g serving. Leucine is a very potent and unique amino acid which has been demonstrated in the lab to stimulate protein synthesis (in doses less than 5g) to an equivalent degree to whole proteins. In other words, the additional leucine in Nitrean+ acts as a supercharger helping to optimize the body’s response to intense training*."
Crap how did I miss that?

Oh well, now I know and will go with the + next time. Thanks Eric.