CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2003, 05:04 AM   #1
Jan de Jong

Profile:

I was going through their website and came across the book review section, www.westonaprice.org/book_reviews.

To my suprise all the books that we like to read, Paleo, protein power, the Zone, omega plan etc. got bad reviews.

It's already confusing enough with every book stating something different. How in the world can somebody make up his mind which diet to follow?

Jan.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:38 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
A lot of life is what power you set your microscope on. I think a broad concept that everyone here would agree on is that excessive insulin is a bad thing. Moreover, refined carbohydrates--especially white flour and sugar--are dangerous in a number of respects, not least their potential role in either cancer origination, or growth, and of course their possible implication in atherosclerosis and other pulmonary problems.

If you get a group of academics of any sort in a room together, they will literally get excited and emotional over differences we laypeople cannot even grasp. I've seen it, and personally been one of them (in graduate school).

Everyone wants to the person who "gets it" perfectly. In a situation lacking perfect information--which is the case with nutrition--emotion and bias creep in. That's what's going on on that website, in my opinion.

A couple things I think most people on this site would agree with:

1) Get your carbohydrates primarily from fruits and vegetables.
2) Fat per se is not bad, and Extra Virgin Olive oil, avodadoes, and most nuts are in fact good for you, among others.
3) Your body needs more protein than what is normally recommended. I would think of .4-.5 grams per pound of bodyweight as a minimum, especially if you work out.
4) Eating Cholesterol does not seem to affect serum cholesterol, and saturated fat doesn't seem to be all that bad. This is a possible weak point in the Zone diet, but I like it b/c I feel good. In any event, there also doesn't seem to be such a thing as a saturated fat deficiency.

Other people can add their stuff, but I think those ideas should be relatively uncontroversial.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Jan,

The foundation's problem with Cordain is that he claims that our ancestors ate little to no fat. They go on to give a hypothetical situation where a Paleo man catches a bird, cleans it out, peels off the skin and then eats it. They feel that too much lean meat without fat can be extremely detrimental to ones health:

"If this sounds absurd, it’s because absurd things happen when a professor of exercise tries to write a diet book that captures the current interest in the so-called caveman diet and adheres to political correctness at the same time. This book is as pc as pc can be—and totally ignorant of what we know about hunter-gatherer diets. Everyone who has described the diets of primitive peoples—Stefansson, Samuel Hearne, Cabeza de Vaca, Weston Price—has detailed the great emphasis these groups put on animal fat. Animal foods rich in fat were the basis of these diets. Animals were hunted selectively to procure those richest in fat. In good times, only the fattest parts were eaten, the lean meat was thrown away. In fact, the one thing Paleolithic Peter would never have eaten was a skinless chicken breast. He wanted the fat, the entrails, the bones, the contents of the stomach. . . the lean meat went to his dogs."

I agree with some of what they have to say. In the end, you have to think for yourself. I might get flamed for this one, oh well, I find Neanderthin to be a better read when it comes to the Paleo Diet than Cordain's book. That's just me though. Read through everything, think critically, finally, do what feels best for you and your body. If someone said eating woodchips and pine-needles would make me feel like a God - I am crazy enough to try it - however, you can bet that if I didn't start feeling like a God really quick, I would stop (I know I know, I'm weird and so are my analogies.). Anyway, I personally feel best when consuming a Paleo diet with ample fat, once again, that's just me. To each his/her own.

-Jay
Old 11-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the site. They talk about saturated fat like it's the best damn thing on earth - and certainly some is good, but I don't think anyone needs it as much as they say you do.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Basic idea which the Weston Price overlook is that the fat of grassfed animals is dramaticly different from that of grainfed animals...untill one is talking about that it is completely apples and oranges. Even all the pastoralist peoples they refer to are eating dairy from grassfed, wild roaming animals. Their is no relation between the quality of food from a grassfed scenario and grainfed. Period.
Robb
Old 11-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #6
Gene Schwartz

Profile:  
How do you come to the conclusion that they overlook the source of the saturated fat? I've been looking at a lot of their materials over the last few weeks, and it seems to me that they stress over and over again the value of grass fed meat over grain fed.