CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Craig Canfield

Profile:
Foot Levelers orthotics...anyone out there try/use them???

Ive been dealing with foot and leg issues for years. Havent been able to shake plantar fasciitis for two years and tore my achilles last november. I know a lifetime of hockey and poor lifting technique has probably structurally f'ed me up from the waist down. Ive tried numerous custom orthotics, superfeet, dr scholls, etc and just havent found anything that seems to work well.

Came across foot levelers recently and they are intriguing, but id hate to blow another $250 on an experiment that doesnt work out. Anyone out there have any foot leveler experience????
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Foot Levelers orthotics...anyone out there try/use them???

I'm not impressed with them at all.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Craig Canfield

Profile:

Yuck...reasoning? And is this relative to other orthotics youve tried or just relative to no orthotics?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Megan Zetter

Profile:

You walk across a foot pad machine and it spits out your Rx. There is no customizing at all. I was able to get a free pair a few years back and when they arrived they were so narrow that my foot was hanging off both sides. Pretty useless in my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of orthodics in general, but have been a user of them in the past and gained relief (custom and Superfeet). I no longer depend on orthodics, but do respect those situations where someone may need them. That being said, I feel a true custom fit is the way to go if the OTC don't work for you. It sounds as though you have tried all options, which leads me to think that no orthodic is going to "fix" your issue.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Craig Canfield

Profile:

I see your point in regards to the customization or lack thereof. I have tried a pair where fitting was done with plaster and one where you put your foot in some foam. I agree that these methods seem much more logical even to someone like me who isnt as educated in this field. But both of those were very heavy and rigid...the one thing that is very appealing to me about the foot levelers is how light and flexible they are. The argument that the foot is very dynamic and thus a very rigid ortotic is very inappropriate makes sense to me. Im also intrigued by the foot levelers claim that most orthotics only support the medial arch whereas they support all of the foots arches. Ideally these would serve as a bridge and eventually i wont need orthotics ever again.

Ok im rambling...i appreciate your input.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Meh. If such a quick and easy digital analysis could provide relief, I imagine the docs would much prefer to use that then spend an hour making plaster casts of my feet.

Additionally, doing the analysis while you're walking is misleading - are you supposed to walk properly or poorly? I have flat fleet, but have trained them to be strong and maintain their own arch. But I can easily relax my feet and flatten them. So which should I do when walking across the digital pad to get the proper support? Thus I feel the Dr approach of taking casts of your neutral (unweighted) feet is the best.

Anyway, I found that 99% of the time just getting a pair of superfeet insoles and being smart about shoe choice worked well enough for me to avoid paying $$$ for custom orthotics (which I have had before).

Also, I have found that Birkenstocks with their cork soles to be the most comfortable shoes/sandals ever once they're broken in (about two weeks of daily wear). Then they last about 2yrs until too flat and need to be replaced (resole after the first year). But the Dr hates them b/c they don't correct the problem...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Craig Canfield

Profile:

Jason...do u know of any orthotics that r fit via casting but r light/flexible like the foot levelers? I agree that casting is better than the foot leveler fitting method, but the ones ive gotten via casting r like wearing blocks in ur shoes and they dont seem compatible at all with any athletic activity or the dynamic nature of the human foot...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I've been told that you can request "athletic" type orthotics which are lower profile and/or more flexible. Mine were carbon fiber and inflexible, and about 3/4 length (heel to back of ball of foot).

I'd replace the insole with the orthotic, but have to cut the top 3" of the insole off and replace back in the shoe to fill the gap left by the orthotic. They were thick enough that there was a horrible, blister-inducing ridge where they ended. It sucked for my mountaineering boots, but was the only thing at the time which prevented horrible knee pain when hiking.

OTOH, even with those huge, horrible, inflexible things I was still able to run, hike, and walk without problems. My heel would get sore sometimes but there was enough padding in the sole of the shoe to cushion things.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Craig Canfield

Profile:

Ok thanks man.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're gonna get something make sure it allows you proper movement...

Then wean yourself off as you rehab yourself so you don't need them anymore