CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-02-2003, 05:42 AM   #11
Roy

Profile:

This is very helpful info brad. thankyou. My dad just picked up a bottle for him and I. So, I'll go from there.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #12
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Great info Brad! Thanks.
Robb
Old 10-03-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
Jan de Jong

Profile:

When it comes to impurities, label claims etc. of supplements I would advice to take a subscription on www.consumerlabs.com. Like the CFJ, its money well spent.

Jan.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
David Wood

Profile:

One minor caveat: I'd pay attention to the anti-coagulation effect of herbs generally (including gingko specifically).

I was once walking through the Home Depot here, walked into the edge of a pallet rack, and gave myself a minor cut. Danged if it wouldn't stop bleeding! 20 minutes later I was still walking around, dripping blood from this stupid (little) cut that just wouldn't clot, no matter how much presure I held on it.

I took a look at my diet, and realized I had on board about 5 different herbs/vitamins with known anti-coagulant effects: the gingko, garlic, vitamin E, St. John's wort, and a few others.

Needless to say, I decided to cut back a bit . . .

Dave
Old 10-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #15
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
David,
Good adivce! On that note, it is important to remember that many of there herbs do in fact have pharmaceutically active components. These compounds can certainly be a good thing, but on the other hand these compounds can also have toxic/harmful effects. We're (scientific community) working on the elucidation of these mechanisms, but it will take time. I'd hold off on going crazy with the herbs, unless told to do so by your physician. Also, make sure your pharmacist/physician knows what herbs you are taking, if you choose to do so.

Brad