CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-03-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Hello again! I've got a few questions for anyone who would care to answer them.

1) On average, how much protein/carbs/fat would one take in on a Paleo style diet? I KNOW this varies greatly from person to person, but I would just like to see other's opinions.

I myself seem to take in maybe 100-120 grams of fat (depends, though), 80-100 grams of carbs, and varied protein (I try to keep it above 120 at least). I'm wondering what others do as far as this goes?

2) Ketosis! Has anyone here had experience with this? Also, does NHE specifically induce ketosis, or does it bring you out just as you're about to enter the state?

3) Soy - the argument that will last ten eternities. Some say that it has more health benefits than.. something.. really beneficial to health.. anywho, that's what they say, but I know that it is not exactly Paleo food.

I do know to avoid soybean oil, but what about soy products such as tofu or soy nuts?

That is all. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Oh, and I just ordered a copy of NHE. Hooray! I feel special.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kevin-

So lets see here:
1) I range from 150-300g of protein, 150-300g fat, 40-300g carbs (some days are obviously carb load).

2)Ive done ketosis. I feel incredibly clear headed...unending energy. NHE can bounce you intoand out of ketosis depending upon a number of factors. Once my body fat got pretty low my performance really dipped on extreme low carb however.

3) I strongly dislike soy. Actually, I hate it! Im not going to go into details here as there is an incredible amount of info at places like www.paleodiet.com and other sites. The vegetarians have theri pro soy sites. Read the research, think about what seems reasonable.

3)Good job buying NHE!
Robb
Old 10-07-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Rob, Do you think that the very low carb diet (40%P,60%F) can be beneficial to endurance training below lactate threshold, if the body is given enough time to adapt and increase its pace of gluconeogenesis? I know you said that your performance suffered on low carb once your BF% bottomed out, but couldnt this have been helped by providing ample good fats in the diet?

I wanted to ask your opinion re endurance physiology. When an athlete puts in masses of volume one of the fundamental changes to occur appears to be mitochondria density within muscle, thus providing greater ATP generation potential, and therefore greater energy output. Do you think that this increased mitochondria density could be primarily a response to over-taxed glycogen stores, and thus a recognition by the body that more mitochondria are required to produce a greater amount of ATP from the slower but more plentiful substrate - fat? I am wondering if training with consistently restricted muscle glycogen (only that generated via protein) at mid-level aerobic intensity will better improve long term endurance and ultimately speed-endurance?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul I totally agree with you. I think sub-lactate activities necessitate very little carbs. Just getting loads of greens for antioxidants and for a net alkalanizing load is it.

My situation is that ALL of my activities are very high intensity and short duration. I hit a level where I really needd to increase my carb intake to keep my level of intensity up.

Now the sticky situation is that I think most endurance anthletes would benefit from more intense shorter training sessions (we see this all the time with people improving 5 and 10K performances just from following the WOD). What the optimum to this is I think may be specific to the individual. I like the cyclic low carb thing because in my mind it provides the benefit of adequate glycogen but it is not down-regulating the lipolytic processes. This allows for intensity of training stimulus while optimizing substrate utilization.

This is largely conjecture on my part as I have not worked with many pure endurace athletes but the people I have trained have all benefitted from increased exercise intensity, a reduction in volume and greatly increased fat and protein intake. However none of these folks have trained at a 0% carb level.
Robb