CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Mark Patterson

Profile:
non affiliated crossfit

I have been to two gyms lately while traveling. One is a 24 hour franchise and another privately owned small gym. They both offered crossfit classes but neither are affiliated. I am not connected with any box but if i had paid a few thousand dollar affiliation fee and saw these non affiliates, it would likely bother me. It is a tribute to the popularity of crossfit, but does this annoy affiliates or is it a non issue?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Ron Murray

Profile:
Re: non affiliated crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Patterson View Post
I have been to two gyms lately while traveling. One is a 24 hour franchise and another privately owned small gym. They both offered crossfit classes but neither are affiliated. I am not connected with any box but if i had paid a few thousand dollar affiliation fee and saw these non affiliates, it would likely bother me. It is a tribute to the popularity of crossfit, but does this annoy affiliates or is it a non issue?
so report them to IPTheft@crossfit.com
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Jamie Hentig

Profile:

Did the actually say we teach crossfit? Or did they word it saying things like "We utilize crossfit style workouts"?

It is illegal for them to say We are Crossfit ______ or we have crossfit classes at 6am 7am yada yada yada.

It is however NOT illegal to call the class boot camp or what have you and in the description state that you use crossfit type workouts.

As long as they are not claiming to be crossfit, all is okay when it comes down to black and white.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Dan MacDougald

Profile:

This is actually a huge issue that is getting progressively worse with the rising popularity of CrossFit™, so please report the gyms to IPTheft@crossfit.com, with as much contact/ID info on them as you can supply.

And it is NOT OK for a Level 1 trainer, a non-affiliate, or anyone else to advertise "crossfit style training" or say "we use crossfit methods." CrossFit™ is a trademarked brand name and may not be used to advertise fitness services without an Affiliate License Agreement between them and CrossFit, Inc.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

We have these more and more issues here in Finland too.

What we have done few times, is direct contact to the owner / CEO of the box that uses CrossFit without being affiliate. They seems honestly surprised when told that it is actually illegal to bring CrossFit classes to globo gym without affiliation, and most times they change the name to crosstraining etc.

Doesn't work all the time tough.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Mark Patterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
so report them to IPTheft@crossfit.com
I am not going to rat out these gyms, i thought that if they read this they may understand that "crossfit" is property and not to be used without risk of legal action by HQ. I believe that at least one of the gym's trainer was L1 certified. I assume his actions of conducting non affiliat crossfit wods would have been covered in the cert process.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Dan MacDougald

Profile:

Mark,

If you don't want to "rat them out", then don't, in which case they will keep ripping off the trademark until someone else reports them. However, I don't think reporting an intellectual property theft to the victim is "ratting out." "Ratting out" has connotations that put me in mind of German citizens in the 30s reporting Jews in their midst to the NAZI party, or communists reporting improper political opinions expressed by their neighbors to the party bosses.

Fortunately, your viewpoint (that reporting illegal use of CrossFit's trademark is "ratting out") is not a commonly held view, especially among affiliate owners. CrossFit HQ relies heavily on such reports in trying to stop trademark infringement.

As for L1 trainers being expected to know and abide by the rules, you are right. They should know better. It's in their Trainer License Agreement. It's in their Training Manual that goes with the L1 Course. It's in the orally presented material. After all that, lots of folks still don't know better or do know better and don't care, and if they are not getting it from those sources, what makes you think they will get it from your message board post?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Dan is right -as an affiliate owner who has devoted tons of time, money, effort into building my own CrossFit box, I certainly don't want globo gyms using the term CrossFit for their "version" of CrossFit. And I don't want small gyms using the name either - I paid my dues (literally and figuratively).
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Mark Patterson

Profile:

I am not an an affiliate, so i do not have skin in the game. If i did it may be different. The history of the past Germany and Jews is a bit dramatic, Dan.

Last edited by Mark Patterson : 02-03-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Bryan Hood

Profile:

You asked how we feel. It ****es me off cause, like stated above, I have spent, and still spend, many dollars and hours away from my family to work my LEGIT CF business. I'm honored that more people are seeking CF because it works, however, it's still wrong. I feel that it is any CrossFitters DUTY to report these so that the CrossFit reputation and standards are upheld. A bunch of half-jacked joints saying they "do" or "are" CF reflects on the whole CF community. If they're screwed up, newbies will think that's the way CF is. Again, non-affiliates probably won't see it the way we do but business is business whatever industry it may be. You asked, there you go.