CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
vacation help/ questions

hey all, in two weeks im going on vacation to greece for two weeks and i have a few concerns that id like if someone could address for me.

1) i will be taking a 13 hour flight there which will be entirely during the daytime hours and i feel as if a 24 hour fast during that day may be good since im doing close to zero physical activity during that day(sitting all day). is that a good idea or no..?

2) i get very stressed when im not training bc i feel as if i will gain weight. i have zero gym access or workout time during this break (on parents agenda) so i wanted to know how to go about not putting on excess weight during this time.

3) i will have limited healthy options for food being that most food in greece is some form of fatty meat covered in oil etc.

i know most of you will just say take the week to just relax etc dont worry about it. but, im the type of person that likes being on my own schedual and i need a way to nix these problems to assure a good vacation
Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: vacation help/ questions

1. Bring stuff with you on the plane and eat if you are hungry, if not then don't eat. If you can do IF that long then do it if you want to, but don't starve yourself if you are hungry.

2. This is a messed up view on working out, fix it. Have you been overweight in the past? If not then don't worry about two weeks, it's greece and if it's your first time you will be doing a good amount of walking seeing the sights and whatnot.

3. Fatty meat is not bad for you. Greece has some great food (according to my cousin who went there), lots of fresh seafood. If anything you will have better sources of food there than in the U.S.

When was the last time you took a week off? If you can't remember then don't workout this vacation. You will be rested by the time you come back and will probably set a couple PRs, seems to be a common trend for people who don't take much time off.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

3) The Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest in the world. Grilled meat and fish, vegetables, olive oil, lemons... what's not to like?

2) If you're not active, eat less. Alternatively, spend your time swimming and scrambling over Greek ruins, and eat whatever you want.

1) Set your watch to Greek time when you take off, and eat as close as you can to Greek meal times. It will help your body adjust to the time difference.

Katherine
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

thanks guys, i guess i wont stress over it. for me i think the plane rides are the most stressful part but i figure if i cut down my calories the flight days the fact that im not moving all day will balance out.
and im spending the second week in germany.
so i now understand that greece has healthfull cousine but what about german food? will i be able to eat healthy there?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Zach S

Profile:

You are way too stressed about a vacation. One week will have no effect on your diet. Have fun.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Craig Rogers

Profile:

if you feel like you have to workout this sounds like a great time to work on some distance runs. Get up early, take a quick 30-45 minute run around the city and see the sights.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Yeah, some time off won't hurt. But if you feel compelled to work out you can always program some sprints, or any of the number of the body weight workouts from this thread:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 (WFS)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Corey Wright

Profile:

you can take some paleokits with you, if you need to.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Hey,

I agree with a lot of the previous post. Try to enjoy your time. If you plan on training for a large part of your life, 2 weeks is not a large part of it. I went to El Paso (not as awesome as greece) but I sure as hell was not going to miss out on tex mex and a nice cold beer. However, I made good choices when possible. I also did body-weight exercises and met cons while there. I did the exercises mostly in my hotel room, and I also went for a run in the early morning. The run was a great way to see the city in my book.

As for plane food, I bring a lot things I normally eat. I plan on a large bag of beef jerky, cooked meat (chicken or pork), almonds, walnuts, carrots, and apples. I usually pack a breakfast too, usually a frittata. I also add an empty nalgene bottle to fill prior to boarding.

Otherwise, have a great time!