CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Jocelyn Wallace

Profile:
Going to start eating meat... need some help

I posted a few weeks ago about my challenges losing weight. I've started losing, but who cares. Important thing is that I listened to y'all and went from 14 years vegetarian/4 years vegan to eating eggs and seafood. I'm feeling so awesome I'm ready to start eating meat.

Problem is I have absolutely NO idea what to buy, how to cook it, what supplies I might need, etc. I guess I could google all of this, but maybe you can help?

I'm going to be ordering meat from a local farm that's all grass/pasture fed. They have all kinds of stuff but most of it is pretty darn expensive. Are there restrictions to what kind of meat I eat? I guess that's called a cut, right? The things I can afford regularly are chicken, cod, salmon, tuna, eggs, pork chops and ground beef/turkey/pork. Can I build an optimal diet around these things? Are they lean enough? I always see people talking about meats like tenderloin that cost $26/pound.

Also, I don't have a stove or oven (use them for storage). I have a tiny george foreman, an electric skillet, plug in heater thing and pots/pans. I keep seeing recipes that call for cooking meat in ovenst. Can you cook meat with what I've got?

Finally! Since you have to place orders in advance, is a pound of meat per day a good amount to shoot for? I'm 5'8", 169lb, female. Trying to lose fat. Work out 5 days/week doing a pseudo-crossfit bootcamp at an affiliate. I'll be starting real crossfit in a month or so when I have a job/funds to sign up at the contract price.

Thanks so much! I realize I probably sound like an absolute idiot but, I've been 100% vegetarian since I was 8. I really have no idea how this works.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Timothy Walsh

Profile:
Re: Going to start eating meat... need some help

Cooking meat on a grill or searing on a pan, or chopping it for stews are easy and good ways to cook with it. Just spice it up and you're good to go. Salt, pepper, or cajun, or BBQ sauce, olive oil... The choices are endless.

Chicken is generally going to be lean, and easier to cut fat from if you desire to do so. It also might be an easier meat to swing into after being vegetarian for so long. As opposed to red meat. Although I have no actual clue, just taking a guess...

Good luck and welcome to the world of flavor!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Craig Rogers

Profile:

If you want cheap go with stew cuts and roasts. Pick up a crock pot and you are good to go. Easiest thing to cook I have ever done. Toss it in the crockpot and come back 6 hours later.
Also ask the farmer about some of the lesser used cuts. Chuck Roll is pretty good, and not many people use it (braise it). Western Griller (Denver Griller) is what I slice and use for fajitas (cheap.) The farmer I buy from both of these cuts are around half the cost of sirloin.

Last edited by Craig Rogers : 07-17-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

I would not stretch your budget just for the sake of eating what you seem to be thinking of as "real" meats. What you listed, eggs, poultry, and seafood is a plenty good start for anyone. They are all lean and fairly easy to cook. I would suggest trying to at least make your oven accessible, because I have found cooking fish and chicken to be really easy in the oven, and it is much easier to keep from overcooking it. When you overcook chicken the first time you will know. It will be really dry, and it is not a pleasant experience.

If you want to venture into more of the red meat stuff, it is going to cost more if you are going the full on range/grass fed organic stuff. What I would do before really trying it yourself, and possibly ruining that 26 dollars you just spent on steak, is finding a friend or someone with experience cooking those types of meats and seeing if they will help you out. Cooking is not rocket science, but it also is not just flipping a switch either.

I cannot say how legitimate the whole site is, but I have read a couple interesting articles including this one http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...x-vegetarians/ (wfs). He himself is a former vegetarian who has gone back to eating meat and I am sure there are other resources on his site that would help with your transition.

Hope some of that helps you. Have a good Monday.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

With your limited cooking apparatus, I'd recommend picking up a crock pot. They are relatively inexpensive and you can cook just about everything 100 different ways with them.

When you're cooking steaks, don't over think it. The star of the steak should be the meat and its juices.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

You live in florida, invest in a decent grill and grill out every night. Best part about that is you can grill for the entire week if you want and just pop the rest in the fridge.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I read the title to the thread and thought you were inviting us to a bbq!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
Alicia Michel

Profile:

WTG Jocelyn!

And some NOW Foods Super Enzymes should help if you find yourself having issues with digesting the meat.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
David Fletcher

Profile:

Disclaimer: My theory on food is if you're gonna spend the time cooking, you might as well learn to do a good job of it. If you're just interested in producing edible food for the sake of sustenance, this may not be the right advice for you. Also, the following information represents what I've been cooking over the past several years since I started eating healthy. Take it slow and don't try to cram it all in during one weekend.

You should start out by watching this video from Alton Brown (WFS) where he shows the basic idea of how to cook a steak. I know it doesn't exactly apply to your situation due to the lack of an oven, but he covers the basics of seasoning, what to look for when the meat is done. You can easily cook it at a lower temperature for the whole duration on your skillet.

After that if you're still interested in learning to cook good meat, I highly recommend getting some good cookbooks that teach you what to do instead of just listing ingredients and expecting you to know how to piece it together. Here's some good ones that I used to teach myself. All links are WFS.

I'm just here for the food - Alton Brown. He goes over all basic methods of cooking (braising, searing, roasting, etc) and explains what is happening with each method and why it is desirable. He's a bit too sciency for some people though. Not very many recipes are paleo-friendly either. That said, it's still the best explanation of what is happening to your food that I've seen. Check out his old TV shows on youtube to decide if you like his style or not before getting the book.

The Complete Meat Cookbook - Bruce Aidells. He covers beef/pork/lamb in this book. In the beginning of each chapter he describes what to look for when buying meat, and what method of cooking is best for each cut of meat. He even goes over some history of meat, how to read butcher labels, and how names for cuts of meat varies depending on your region. Many recipes do require an oven though.

The Complete Book of Poultry - Cook's Illustrated. They cover pretty much every aspect of cooking chicken in this book, as well as some sections on duck/geese/etc that I haven't really looked at. Anything from cook's illustrated is good as they give very detailed instructions and reasons for cooking in a particular manner so it's good for a beginner.

Slow Cooker Revolution - America's Test Kitchen. By far the best slow cooker/crock pot book I've ever seen. I haven't had it for very long, but all of the recipes I've made have been very good and far better than anything I've had from a crock pot before. There is some very important information about which crock pot you buy and how it operates. For example, the ideal temperature range for a slow cooker is 195 to 205 F. Most don't label what temperature they go to and low/high may be the same temperature with slower/faster heating times, or equal heating times with different max temps. If your slow cooker goes over boiling, you've got a good chance of ending up with dry, stringy meat.

TL;DR: Since starting to eat healthy/paleo I've become a kitchen nerd and these are the cookbooks I like.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

In agreeing with David's advice, Alton Brown, while being extremely annoying and have a personality that makes me want to shove needled in my eyes, does a very good job with his good eats series teaching you the basics of cooking. From eggs, to chicken, to steak, to oats and everything in between. He explains common cooking terms and what they mean to you, as well as giving step by step instructions on different techniques.