CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Paleo thoughts

After being on the Paleo Diet for nine weeks, here are some of my thoughts on the subject ..

Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Zach S

Profile:
Re: Paleo thoughts

Nine weeks and already so many opinions!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

interesting read, thanks for sharing. the more i read about paleolithic nutrition and actually consider the effort required to harvest enough plants from the wild to meet 50% or anywhere near that of energy requirements, the more i'm not so sure they ate that many plants. if i were them, seems like i'd go for the bigger bang for my buck calorically: fatty meat.

for the record, i'm not saying everyone should eat a scarce amount of plants and only eat fatty meat. i'm just imagining myself in their shoes.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Tony Sutton

Profile:

I like the part about, "eating close to the source." I don't follow paleo, as I am about to have a bowl of oatmeal with my fritatta this morning, but I do use a lot of their recipes. I usually skip the word, 'Paleo' when discussing it, and then I can forgo the complexity of comparing modern diets and paleolithic diets. After borrowing from your phrase, I stick with, "I eat close to the source, a variety of fruits/veggies, dark leafy greens, lean proteins, healthy fats, some beans, and little grains (only oatmeal for me). It's kind of a mouthful, but it works for me and people understand the health benefits.

On another note, have you ever worked on a farm? I currently work on a small-scale farm, mostly vegetables, and it has given me a new perspective on food production. Some areas have farms with work shares, I would suggest getting involved, if you haven't already. It could provide new insight on how food is grown and impacts associated with it.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Sean Whitty

Profile:

Interesting read. I don't quite agree with all your points, as one comment read above, I tend to think that foraging may have had slightly less energy spent on it due to bigger "bang for your buck" on meat. Although, it's worth noting that if a large patch of bushes or regularly harvestable plant was found, it likely would be harvested regularly. In any case I think a better representative is still around half and half.

Due to the nature of the paleolithic lifestyle however, I see this changing regularly as the availability of meat (migration/season whatever you want to call it) and availability of edible plants (growing season) changed. Now that we have some modern scientific techniques that are capable of telling us about how we as modern humans metabolize foods, I think it is worthwhile to investigate metabolic pathways and what biological molecules are present in the foods we are eating. This would give us a better basis for determination of a healthy diet lifestyle.

I also realize it is impractical for the everyday person to open up a biochem lab in their home, so a lot of this information would have to come from reading up on the science oneself and determining what is well founded and what isnt and making grocery choices from there. That is what I have been doing, and to the best that I can afford, purchasing.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
interesting read, thanks for sharing. the more i read about paleolithic nutrition and actually consider the effort required to harvest enough plants from the wild to meet 50% or anywhere near that of energy requirements, the more i'm not so sure they ate that many plants. if i were them, seems like i'd go for the bigger bang for my buck calorically: fatty meat.
Plants don't run away, and wild game animals don't have much fat. Ever tried to kill an antelope with stone tools?

From what I've seen, the evidence suggests that the "gathering" side of the equation -- which included both plants and small animals like lizards -- was at least as substantial a contributor to total intake as the "hunting" side, and was much more consistent.

(Subject to enormous variations based on season and ecosystem.)

Katherine
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Plants don't run away, and wild game animals don't have much fat. Ever tried to kill an antelope with stone tools?

From what I've seen, the evidence suggests that the "gathering" side of the equation -- which included both plants and small animals like lizards -- was at least as substantial a contributor to total intake as the "hunting" side, and was much more consistent.

(Subject to enormous variations based on season and ecosystem.)

Katherine
Wild game has plenty of fat and there were multitudes of wild animals roaming, unlike today.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Wild game has plenty of fat and there were multitudes of wild animals roaming, unlike today.
Plenty of fat relative to morbidly obese modern commercial cattle? Somehow I doubt it. Certainly the bison, venison, and grass-fed beef that I've personally eaten have been pretty lean.

Multitudes of roaming wild animals doesn't mean they were easy to kill, or to defend from the multitudes of other predators that were also roaming around.

Katherine
Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Plenty of fat relative to morbidly obese modern commercial cattle? Somehow I doubt it. Certainly the bison, venison, and grass-fed beef that I've personally eaten have been pretty lean.

Multitudes of roaming wild animals doesn't mean they were easy to kill, or to defend from the multitudes of other predators that were also roaming around.

Katherine
Who was comparing them to modern grain fed animals?

Did you slaughter you own animals? Most cuts are trimmed to be lean, thats how most people like to buy it. Some interesting articles by Kurt Harris if you havent already read them. (WFS). As for being easy to kill, well the native americans didnt seem to have a problem.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...ruminants.html
http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...fed-bison.html
http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...on-images.html
Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Who was comparing them to modern grain fed animals?

Did you slaughter you own animals? Most cuts are trimmed to be lean, thats how most people like to buy it. Some interesting articles by Kurt Harris if you havent already read them. (WFS). As for being easy to kill, well the native americans didnt seem to have a problem.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...ruminants.html
http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...fed-bison.html
http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog...on-images.html
On the other hand, other groups of hunter/gatherers followed largely vegetarian diets because hunting was too much work. Still other groups depended on fish and shellfish more than wild game. As I said, tremendous seasonal and regional variation.

Katherine