CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Eric Aubery

Profile:
Lower Fat vs Lower Carb study

Came across this in the paper today. It's a study done at the University of Alabama comparing a lower fat vs lower carb diet. The results indicate that a lower fat diet improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance better than a lower carb diet.

http://www.uab.edu/news/latest/item/...ut-weight-loss WFS

I'd be interested in hearing some commentary on this study by some of our nutritionally savvy readers.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Vasko Naumov

Profile:
Re: Lower Fat vs Lower Carb study

Quote:
Study participants in the lower fat group received a diet comprising 27 percent fat and 55 percent carbohydrate. The lower carb groupís diet was 39 percent fat and 43 percent carbohydrate. All food for the eight-week trial was provided by the study.
43 persent is not low carb for sure. I'm eating at the most 10% of carbs every day for 5 years and was only having a flu two times.
Eat the eggs,eat the pork meat,eat the butter and don't worry so much.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

neither of those were high or low anything, just slight modification of two diets of moderate fat and carbs. both diets are way low on protein, that is another issue. also no mention of if or how these people exercised. so these docs took people that are already overweight and basically put them on a diet to help them maintain their current state while splitting hairs between carbs / fat and giving them too little protein. to me this study is a wash. i bet all the people involved would have seen better results if they had exercised and eating more meat, veggies, and fruit.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Dave Tate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasko Naumov View Post
43 persent is not low carb for sure. I'm eating at the most 10% of carbs every day for 5 years and was only having a flu two times.
Eat the eggs,eat the pork meat,eat the butter and don't worry so much.
Yeah I would agree with this. It's interesting, I just started reading Mastering the Zone. I'm not a zone diet person but I do like to read about nutrition. In the book Sears mentions a Middlesex hospital diet where obese patients were fed 1000 calorie diets. High fat (90%), high protein (90%) & balanced macro diets all resulted in weight loss. Only the high carb (90%) resulted in actual weight gain. On 1000 calories a day.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tate View Post
Yeah I would agree with this. It's interesting, I just started reading Mastering the Zone. I'm not a zone diet person but I do like to read about nutrition. In the book Sears mentions a Middlesex hospital diet where obese patients were fed 1000 calorie diets. High fat (90%), high protein (90%) & balanced macro diets all resulted in weight loss. Only the high carb (90%) resulted in actual weight gain. On 1000 calories a day.
Peer-reviewed reference, please?

Katherine
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah I would agree with this. It's interesting, I just started reading Mastering the Zone. I'm not a zone diet person but I do like to read about nutrition.
There isn't a shred of evidence to support any of Dr. Sears claims regarding the effects of The Zone Diet on eicosanoids or insulin. This diet is nothing more than a low calorie fad diet hiding behind a ton of pseudoscientific nonsense. People lose weight on The Zone Diet for the same reason they lose weight on any other diet; they eat less.

The Zone Diet Phenomenon: A Closer Look at the Science behind the Claims.

The zone diet and athletic performance.

Quote:
In the book Sears mentions a Middlesex hospital diet where obese patients were fed 1000 calorie diets. High fat (90%), high protein (90%) & balanced macro diets all resulted in weight loss. Only the high carb (90%) resulted in actual weight gain. On 1000 calories a day.
This claim is ludicrous. An obese adult will lose weight on 1000 kcals/d regardless of the macronutrient content of their diet.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 07-11-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Dave Tate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Peer-reviewed reference, please?

Katherine
It appeared in the July 1956 issue of the Lancet. If you are really interested here is the link to the article if you would like to check it out.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40673656916919

wfs
Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Dave Tate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
There isn't a shred of evidence to support any of Dr. Sears claims regarding the effects of The Zone Diet on eicosanoids or insulin. This diet is nothing more than a low calorie fad diet hiding behind a ton of pseudoscientific nonsense. People lose weight on The Zone Diet for the same reason they lose weight on any other diet; they eat less.

The Zone Diet Phenomenon: A Closer Look at the Science behind the Claims.

The zone diet and athletic performance.

This claim is ludicrous. An obese adult will lose weight on 1000 kcals/d regardless of the macronutrient content of their diet.

*All links wfs*
While I don't follow the Zone, I do think it is funny about how Sears says that if you feel good after you eat a meal then you are "in the zone". I had to roll my eyes at some of the terminology he uses. It also cracks me up how he talks about how following the diet will lead to Super Health. His fear of saturated fat is also pretty amusing but then I had to remind myself the books were written in the mid 90s at the height of the low fat craze.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
It appeared in the July 1956 issue of the Lancet. If you are really interested here is the link to the article if you would like to check it out.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...40673656916919

wfs
So the only evidence Sears has to support his assertion is a single study from the 1950's? That's like citing a medieval scroll to prove the curative powers of leeches.

More recent metabolic ward studies have shown that the differences in body mass and the rate of weight change in obese patients fed diets with different macronutrient ratios can be explained by changes in water balance. Patients on ketogenic diets lose more weight because they lose more water than patients fed nonketogenic diets. Similarly patients regain weight faster on a diet with a higher CHO content because they retain more water. Fat loss will be identical between patients fed calorie restricted diets of equal calorie content with the amount of fat lost being determined by the extent and duration of the energy deficit.

Composition of Weight Lost during Short-Term Weight Reduction. (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 07-12-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Dave Tate

Profile:

As far back as William Banting it has been known that keto diets are successful because the dieter is able to eat until they are full and do not need to go through the hunger feelings like they do with low fat carb based diets. Obese patients tend to have trouble metabolizing carbs. With keto there is a lack of glucose in the blood stream so the body is forced to metabolize adipose tissue.

So yeah if an obese person can deal with the constant craving for food with the reduced calorie mixed macro nutrient diet then they could possibly lose weight but will always struggle to keep it off. With keto they can always eat until they are full and will see consistent weight loss. The keto diet has proven to be much more sustainable.

Last edited by Dave Tate : 07-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.