CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Michael Kelley

Profile:
It's hard to eat right when there's so much I don't eat.

I'm a "picky eater." I don't know if it is some subconscious choice, conditioning, or if I'm one of those rare people with sensitive taste buds, but there's a laundry list of things I don't eat. It gets in the way of trying to eat better. I could use some help coming up with some healthy options that I can actually manage to choke down. I also have a job with a certain amount of unpredictability, which throws off the best of plans, and since I work out in the morning, breakfast has to be quick. Years ago, a woman I was dating got frustrated and created the list of things I just won't eat:

All seafood, eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, avocado, cole slaw, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, eggplant, mushrooms, brie (all runny cheeses), yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, thai food, spicy food, beets, brussel sprouts, bean sprouts, liver, grits, chitlins, okra, collard greens (and like stuff), cream cheese, artichoke, cooked spinach, kraft macaroni and cheese.

Obviously, some of this is good to stay away from. On the other hand, if you look up recipes for healthy meals anywhere and remove the items on the list from that healthy menu, I'd pretty much be left with a plain chicken breast. Clearly that won't work.

Right now, my eating day typically consists of a post-workout protein shake, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with coffee for breakfast (fast and easy), a mid morning snack of nuts or a protein rich granola bar, lunch of a turkey sandwich or something similar (though I slip into bad things when my day gets flipped around by work demands), an afternoon snack that looks like the morning snack, and dinner is consists of a wide range of generally healthy (but not at all paleo) stuff.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: It's hard to eat right when there's so much I don't eat.

Learn to eat all those things? I never ate any veggies either and was "picky". But you learn to like them. I started out by putting peppers and onions in a food processor and getting them chopped wicked fine and mixing it into meat sauces, ground beef, etc... Then over time chopped them less small, now can and will crush them whole, raw, whatever.

Just ease into like progressive overload, but there is no way to avoid eating real foods.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I always thought I was a brocolli / cauliflower hater when i was a kid, now I love the stuff. Turns out it was just mum's creamy sauce that she put on it that I didnt like.

My point is, maybe some of those things you dislike are just from bad experiences and not an actual dislike? When was the last time you tried some of them again?

With such a long list I'm really curious what you've had for the dinner the past few days.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
I'm a "picky eater." I don't know if it is some subconscious choice, conditioning, or if I'm one of those rare people with sensitive taste buds, but there's a laundry list of things I don't eat. It gets in the way of trying to eat better. I could use some help coming up with some healthy options that I can actually manage to choke down. I also have a job with a certain amount of unpredictability, which throws off the best of plans, and since I work out in the morning, breakfast has to be quick. Years ago, a woman I was dating got frustrated and created the list of things I just won't eat:

All seafood, eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, avocado, cole slaw, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, eggplant, mushrooms, brie (all runny cheeses), yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, thai food, spicy food, beets, brussel sprouts, bean sprouts, liver, grits, chitlins, okra, collard greens (and like stuff), cream cheese, artichoke, cooked spinach, kraft macaroni and cheese.

Obviously, some of this is good to stay away from. On the other hand, if you look up recipes for healthy meals anywhere and remove the items on the list from that healthy menu, I'd pretty much be left with a plain chicken breast. Clearly that won't work.

Right now, my eating day typically consists of a post-workout protein shake, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with coffee for breakfast (fast and easy), a mid morning snack of nuts or a protein rich granola bar, lunch of a turkey sandwich or something similar (though I slip into bad things when my day gets flipped around by work demands), an afternoon snack that looks like the morning snack, and dinner is consists of a wide range of generally healthy (but not at all paleo) stuff.

Thoughts?
Wow-
You really are picky. If you want to eat better, and more quickly, I'd suggest being LESS PICKY. If you were to simply "tolerate" eggs and seafood, the possibility for healthy, easy to prepare meals would expand exponentially.

If you are stuck in your picky ways - it appears that you can still eat all kinds of pork, beef and chicken. Cook extra of any of those at night, and you'll have a good protein source from the leftovers for breakfast and/or lunch.

Easy to eat fruits (zero or minimal prep) - apples, grapes, bananas (don't get started with the banana haters), oranges, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. Any of those can be easily packed and transported for lunches, or eaten quickly at breakfast time.

Easy to eat veggies (zero or minimal prep): celery, carrots, peas, green beans, peppers, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, etc.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I'm sorry but if you don't like the taste of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese... wow, I just don't know what else to say. lol

But seriously, like someone else pointed out it might just be the memory of the food that you don't like. Maybe if you try it now, it won't be so bad. I think more of this is mental than you think.

Just bite the bullet and try a small amount of one thing you THINK you don't like weekly.

Even if you're not completely "cured", you'll have expanded the list of foods that you can eat.

And also, not everything we eat has to taste good. It should be more or less tolerable but I personally accept the fact that I have to eat things that I don't really enjoy. It's part of being an adult.

For example, just now I had some salmon that I didn't really like. Every morning I go to the hot bar at whole foods. I usually get eggs, sausage or bacon, all over a bed of kale w/olive oil, guacamole and pecans. I get the sausage because even though the eggs have protein, I feel more satisfied w/some kind of animal flesh.

Anyway, they didnt have sausage today so I threw some cold salmon onto my greens out of necessity.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

There are plenty of meats and veggies that aren't on that list. What definition are you using for "healthy?"

Learn to cook. That increases your food options enormously. For picky eaters, it also means you won't be at the mercy of someone else's cooking. Maybe the problem with broccoli is people who cook it down to green mush, but you'd find it really tasty if it were, say, lightly sauteed in olive oil and garlic.

Katherine
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Try these below. One is how to intergrate veggies and not know your eatting veggies. The other is for kids but is transferable to adults who are picky eaters. bother are WFS

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-De.../dp/0061251348

http://www.squidoo.com/get-your-kids-eat-veggies

Also... What don't you like about those items? I put fat like ghee, butter (grass fed) or olive oil on top of min with some spice to make them taste better.

To be honest, once I stopped eatting any added sugar and grains the veggies and all other healthy stuff started tasting better.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
To be honest, once I stopped eatting any added sugar and grains the veggies and all other healthy stuff started tasting better.
same here.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Amy Larson

Profile:

Start with a protein source that you do like and add some vegetables. I agree with Katherine, there are lots of things not on your list that are healthy; you might just need to brush up on your cooking skills a little. Try roasting instead of steaming, and experiment with herbs and spices. I always cook about 3 x as much meat as my family needs for a given meal and we graze on the leftovers for lunches and snacks.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
On the other hand, if you look up recipes for healthy meals anywhere and remove the items on the list from that healthy menu, I'd pretty much be left with a plain chicken breast. Clearly that won't work.
It's called beef and pork, they are naturally delicious and could make up a huge portion of your daily calories.