CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
hang snatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLy499uZkaI wfs

Sorry, didnt have my lifting shoes.
So it seems like I'm on my heels too much and I don't have my shoulders out in front of the bar enough...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Patrick Costello

Profile:
Re: hang snatch

Not bad.

You're extending fine, but the bar is getting to your hip early because you're initiating the pull with your arms. Don't rush the scoop, just rotate at the hip by pulling with your lower back. The bar should make contact AS you're extending, not before.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

You are swinging the bar.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Costello View Post
Not bad.

You're extending fine, but the bar is getting to your hip early because you're initiating the pull with your arms. Don't rush the scoop, just rotate at the hip by pulling with your lower back.
You mean extend the hips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
You are swinging the bar.
So you're saying the path is more like a crescent than a straight line? Maybe try keeping the wrists flexed for longer? Any auxiliary movements I could do to fix this like muscle snatch or something?
thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The finish of the pull needs to be more up and down. Less hips vertically into the bar.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Jim Moser

Profile:

If your goal is to full snatch more weight and become better at doing full snatches, hang snatches are a waste of time. They promote bad habits and mess up the bar path and timing for your full snatches. They are two very different movements and getting better at one does not make you more efficient at the other.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moser View Post
If your goal is to full snatch more weight and become better at doing full snatches, hang snatches are a waste of time. They promote bad habits and mess up the bar path and timing for your full snatches. They are two very different movements and getting better at one does not make you more efficient at the other.
So what you're saying is... all those elite Chinese/Korean lifters doing hang snatches are wasting their time? What about snatch high pulls? What about snatch shrugs? What about snatching off blocks? What about snatch balances and drop snatches? There are REASONS for using hang snatches along with other movements. They treat deficiencies in movement. Bar path and timing are just portions of what makes a good snatch a good snatch. Let's not throw out blanket advice like that without knowing why somebody was trying to do a particular exercise.

On that note... Yahya, for what reason are you doing hang snatches? What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 01-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
So what you're saying is... all those elite Chinese/Korean lifters doing hang snatches are wasting their time? There are REASONS for using hang snatches along with other movements. They treat deficiencies in movement. Bar path and timing are just portions of what makes a good snatch a good snatch. Let's not throw out blanket advice like that without some good reasoning.

On that note... Yahya, for what reason are you doing hang snatches? What are you trying to accomplish?
Well if you're asking why I'm doing them from the hang as opposed to from the floor, I was under the impression that it was better for a beginner to start working on the 2nd pull.

I've got older vids of me doing them from the floor that I can put up.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Jim Moser

Profile:

Jeremy, I think I started out with IF your goal is to full snatch. If you look at his next video you will see what happens when you teach someone to hang snatch before they learn to full snatch. They end up catching the bar high and riding it down which is wrong. Ideally you want to catch full snatches in the lowest position possible. "Rock Bottom" I stand by my advice if he wants to take it fine if not fine. The Elite Chineese lifters are just that Elite. More then likely if the truth be told they are just filling time by hang snatching. IMHO The only other movements you need to master to full snatch is power snatch which should be done the same as a full snatch except you catch the bar higher. Another exercise I recommend is full snatch off of low blocks as this builds confidence in going under the bar. One final exercise I recommend is a halting deadlift on a 2 inch platform where you pull to just below the knee and concentrate on pushing your feet through the floor or pushing the floor away. Like I said, I am just offering advice for free because I love the sport of Olympic Weightlifting and I wish to see people do well at it. I hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moser View Post
. I hope this helps.
definitely helps. Thanks.