CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #51
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Ex Vegetarians and Ex Vegans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
I'm vegan. Been doing Crossfit for a few months and haven't encountered any issues and I'm constantly improving. Not sure why a trainer would say you wouldn't be vegan for long. Obviously, how you eat is your choice but I think vegans can Crossfit without issue.

I work full time, go to school part time and Crossfit 4-5 times/week.
Angelina, just out of curiousity, what are you using for your primary protein source? One of the reasons I switched was that I couldn't find anything dense enough that I liked without resorting to soy.

No challenge, just wondering.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #52
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
Angelina, just out of curiousity, what are you using for your primary protein source? One of the reasons I switched was that I couldn't find anything dense enough that I liked without resorting to soy.

No challenge, just wondering.
Being vegan, protein is obviously coupled with carbs, especially if you are eating a minimally processed vegan diet. The nice thing about eating a minimally processed vegan diet though is that everything has protein in it. I try to vary my diet and minimize processed foods and let things work themselves out.

I shamelessly eat beans 2-3 times/day (chickpeas, black eyed peas, black beans, adzuki). I don't mind minimally processed soy so I eat tofu a couple times per month. A few times per month, I'll do a protein shake for breakfast, usually hemp protein (I don't do soy protein). Once in a great while, I'll have amaranth, quinoa or millet but that is pretty rare.

Beyond that, I also eat a large variety of veggies including lots of leafy greens, a variety of fruits and some nuts/seeds.

My protein counts are generally 70-100 g/day depending on the day and what I've had.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #53
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Kelly View Post
Being vegan, protein is obviously coupled with carbs, especially if you are eating a minimally processed vegan diet. The nice thing about eating a minimally processed vegan diet though is that everything has protein in it. I try to vary my diet and minimize processed foods and let things work themselves out.

I shamelessly eat beans 2-3 times/day (chickpeas, black eyed peas, black beans, adzuki). I don't mind minimally processed soy so I eat tofu a couple times per month. A few times per month, I'll do a protein shake for breakfast, usually hemp protein (I don't do soy protein). Once in a great while, I'll have amaranth, quinoa or millet but that is pretty rare.

Beyond that, I also eat a large variety of veggies including lots of leafy greens, a variety of fruits and some nuts/seeds.

My protein counts are generally 70-100 g/day depending on the day and what I've had.
Cool, thanks for the response!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
Gabriel Linoubli

Profile:

sounds like alot of bad character turn the coat after the wind people in here, just saying..
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #55
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

And with your first post that was your contribution to a necro thread?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #56
Mike Derasmo

Profile:

was vegan for a long time as well (and veg before that).

Then one day i just decided i was done with it. Since i live in kansas ciy, it was only natural to head to the nearest BBQ joint.

Ordered up a Burnt end sandwich, fries (cooked in lard), baked beans with bacon.

I enjoyed EVERY LAST SECOND of that meal. And my stomach did not do a single weird thing, no gas, no crazy bathroom story, nothing.

Now im paleo and feel great