CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
Matt D Miller

Profile:
Re: Ex Vegetarians and Ex Vegans

I think if Herschel walker can stay in the shape he's in, at the age of 48, and still be vegetarian, fundamentally you should be able to reach any kind of fitness goal on a vegetarian diet.

but i could never do it. The grassfed steak i had earlier this week was too good to ever give up
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
You guys need to check out http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/ (WFS)
I'm totally aware of that site. And I know there are phenomenal athletes that eat a vegan diet. They've been able to achieve their goals with their diet.

It should be noted (again) that bodybuilding is NOT the same as strength training.

Like I said before, a body builder's goal set is completely different from mine. And a vegan diet did NOT allow me to reach my strength training goals. It barely got me out of bed in the morning.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
I'm totally aware of that site. And I know there are phenomenal athletes that eat a vegan diet. They've been able to achieve their goals with their diet.

It should be noted (again) that bodybuilding is NOT the same as strength training.

Like I said before, a body builder's goal set is completely different from mine. And a vegan diet did NOT allow me to reach my strength training goals. It barely got me out of bed in the morning.
You probably could have altered you're vegan diet to achieve your goals. One can strength train on a vegan diet but it takes a lot of careful planning. I wasn't going to post anything but then I found this blog
Gandhi-dead-lift-project-part-ii (WFS I believe)
and a quick google turned up
10-superstar-athletes-who-do-not-eat-meat (WFS)
Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Fine there are some people who do well with a meat free diet. Want to compare the numbers of high level athletes who eat meat compared to those that don't, especially in sports that require a great deal of strength?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
You probably could have altered you're vegan diet to achieve your goals. One can strength train on a vegan diet but it takes a lot of careful planning. I wasn't going to post anything but then I found this blog
Gandhi-dead-lift-project-part-ii (WFS I believe)
and a quick google turned up
10-superstar-athletes-who-do-not-eat-meat (WFS)
I was sluggish during the day, not sleeping well, bloated after meals, and generally a mess physically. Like I said, it was a training decision I made that has worked incredibly well for me in an efficient and healthy manner. I ate a vegan diet because I believed it was healthier for my body and the planet. Research I've done since then has changed my mind.

I was merely posting my own anecdotal experience. I agree with what you're saying but for ME, it didn't work. The amount of "careful planning" didn't work in my lifestyle, and I'm quite pleased with how things are progressing with my training. Maybe it would work with the goals that other people set for themselves, but I'm pretty content with my lifestyle now.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
Kyle Buresh

Profile:

Thank you everybody for responding and for all the positive feedback! I was nervous posting, but I am very glad I did! I am well aware of sites like veganbodybuilding and other vegetarian based fitness, however, a lot of the vegan body builders and atheletes are freaks of nature! I stand at about 5' 7" and weight 160. I am not sure of my body fat % but I have a bit of a mid section haha. I will keep everyone updated in my transition if people are interested! Today, after the gym I had a 2 scoops of whey protien isolates, later in the day I had a banana, apple, some greek yogurt and a cliff builders bar. For dinner I had 2 hardboiled eggs and morning star chicken strips (cooked in a pan with oil) with some added black pepper and salsa.

I think tuna plain, dry out of the pouch, or maybe mixed with avacado will be my first meat oriented meal!

I am very glad to see people put in their own personal stories and experiences but to stray from political and personal debate, I will just talk about the diet change and how it has been affecting me! So far, so good! The thought of eating beef or chicken still doesn't sit well with me, but we'll see as the days go bye!

Last edited by Kyle Buresh : 11-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #27
Arumayta Martinez

Profile:

my mom was a lacto-vegan. i was able to get her to eat chicken and slowly other meats. i didn't push her to change, i educated her little by little. she feels better and has lost a lot of weight.

i recently started reading Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and he has a great testimony, since he is an ex-vegan.

i think it's important to learn why we promote primal/paleo eating and not just tell everyone, "this is the only way to eat."
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
Kyle Buresh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arumayta Martinez View Post
my mom was a lacto-vegan. i was able to get her to eat chicken and slowly other meats. i didn't push her to change, i educated her little by little. she feels better and has lost a lot of weight.

i recently started reading Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and he has a great testimony, since he is an ex-vegan.

i think it's important to learn why we promote primal/paleo eating and not just tell everyone, "this is the only way to eat."

This right here!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #29
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D Miller View Post
I think if Herschel walker can stay in the shape he's in, at the age of 48, and still be vegetarian, fundamentally you should be able to reach any kind of fitness goal on a vegetarian diet.

but i could never do it. The grassfed steak i had earlier this week was too good to ever give up
He also supposedly doesn't eat anything for days on end while training very hard, often only eats a few pieces of a toast all day and has multiple personality disorder... I think one of his other personalities is eating when he isn't looking. Not to mention is a genetic freak.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Buresh View Post
I think tuna plain, dry out of the pouch, or maybe mixed with avacado will be my first meat oriented meal!
I beg you, please don't make tuna out of a pouch your first foray into animal products. BLECH.

How about....seared tuna steak. Or something equally delicious and amazing! Tuna out of a pouch is like, the cat food of fish.

I mean this in the most loving and supportive way.