CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Kevin Kim

Profile:
I have failed at getting ripped for 5 years..please help!

My stats: 177 lbs
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 8"
Body Type: See attached pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 122.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	6184

Name:	Photo 124.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	6185

Name:	Photo 123.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	6186

Due to a lack of dieting knowledge I've gotten myself in the habit of eating low calories (1500 calories avg) for years and have been stuck at 177 lbs, regardless of exercise including cross fit. It's been pretty frustrating actually since I've been trying to get ripped for years with NO success.

So I'm thinking that I should up my calories to around 2000 calories a day and work out more by weight lifting 1-2 days a week. What do you all think of the following schedule?

Mon: High Protein / Mod Fat / Low Carb (<30 gm) and Cross Fit
Tues: Same as Mon and Rest (or same as Fri)
Wed Same as Mon and Cross Fit
Thurs: Same as Mon and Cross Fit
Fri: Same as Mon, a heavy lifting session and a large protein/carb meal afterwards (hard not to on a Fri night)
Sat: Same as Mon and Rest
Sun: Wake up and "snack" on cheat foods all day but won't over do it (ie. keep my calories less than 2000)

My High Protein / Mod Fat / Low Carb diet currently looks like this:

Breakfast: 2 Whole Eggs & 4 oz steak
Snack: 10 Almonds, Banana & Whey Protein Shake
CROSSFIT.
Snack: Whey Protein Shake
Lunch: 6 oz chicken cooked in butter and grilled veggies
Dinner: 6 oz chicken cooked in butter and grilled veggies

I tried doing the anabolic diet for the last 2 months which basically looked like the above except I carbed up on the weekends eating whatever I wanted. Didn't lose a single pound of fat.

In fact, I've tried a lot of things and am frankly out of ideas. I've wanted to be ripped for 5-6 years and have never achieved it, ever.

Would love some feedback.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Ryan Ragona

Profile:
Re: I have failed at getting ripped for 5 years..please help!

Hey, I don't know enough to be useful, but I do know that since you're in the Seattle area there are a bunch of affiliates around here who do know enough to be useful! I personally highly recommend Crossfit Bellevue: http://www.crossfitbellevue.com/ (wfs)

It can be really helpful to work out in a group environment, imo.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You're never going to get ripped on a starvation diet. Your body will store fat for the impending famine, and meanwhile you won't have enough food to build muscle, either. After several years of that, I'm surprised you look as good as you do.

2000-2500 calories is a typical day for me, and you outweigh me by 50 pounds. I'd consider that a minimum, and you probably need more than that if you're going to be active.

Katherine
Old 04-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kim View Post
I tried doing the anabolic diet for the last 2 months which basically looked like the above except I carbed up on the weekends eating whatever I wanted. Didn't lose a single pound of fat.
I wonder why...

If all you want is to get lean, here's a really simple recipe:

1) Read Enter the Zone (yes, actually read the book), calculate your blocks and do that for the next 3-4 months and you should be pretty lean. Paleo foods are a plus, of course.

2) CrossFit workouts, 4-6 times per week.

3) Get a minimum of 8 hours a sleep per night.

It's really hard to screw this up.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Moar fat, Moar food in general. CF hard, sleep well. Skip the carb replenishment for a month (your performance might drop a little at least at first but don't worry about that)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I was 135 pounds at 6'1" when I started CrossFit. I'm now 164 pounds and, unfortunately, the same height. I think I ran out of growth spurts. Anyway, I take in 5,000 calories per day on a paleo + milk diet. My good friend olive oil allows me to reach this goal every day. I lift heavy stuff as often as possible and when I do metcons (2 - 3x per week) I make them short and heavy as well.

I couldn't imagine eating 1,500 calories per day. I eat about 1,100 for breakfast.

Buy meats one day a week, cook them, store them and eat it all week. The times I've fallen off the calorie-wagon were because I found myself crawling out of the gym and didn't feel like cooking when I got home.

I drink 1,800 calories in milk every day... I roll with Lactaid 'cause my intestines tell me lactose is a no-go. Others may tell you that this isn't the best for leaning out and, by all means, you do not have to drink as much milk as me but I've maintained 5-8% body fat the entire time. I would not call myself "ripped" but I certainly have muscle definition and little fat to show for it.

I tend to ramble and usually totally miss the point of what I'm trying to say when I'm posting but feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

And I'll be the jerk that says maybe you ought to develop better fitness goals then just saying "getting ripped". I've known many "ripped" looking people that were weak as hell.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You're never going to get ripped on a starvation diet.
+1. Plus, you have likely caused enough damage to your system that any diet is going to be tough now. You need to reset your system, so to speak.

In my opinion, the best way to do this is to focus on food quality and physical performance for a while. Don't get so caught up on ratios and macronutrients and calorie counts. Eat when hungry stop when full. Eat only really high quality real food.

Get stronger and eliminate all processed crap from your diet theh re-evaluate in 6 months.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
And I'll be the jerk that says maybe you ought to develop better fitness goals then just saying "getting ripped". I've known many "ripped" looking people that were weak as hell.

I was thinking it... just didn't say it.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Wayne,

Excellent work, keep it up.