CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Muscle Trac vs The stick

I have used the stick with great success before when I had access to it at another gym, but have seen this Muscle Trac product being recommended as well. Any of you tried the Muscle Trac product? Just trying to decide between the two for a travel massage tool.

MuscleTrac(WFS)
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=2752

The Stick(WFS)
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=133
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:
Re: Muscle Trac vs The stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
I have used the stick with great success before when I had access to it at another gym, but have seen this Muscle Trac product being recommended as well. Any of you tried the Muscle Trac product? Just trying to decide between the two for a travel massage tool.

MuscleTrac(WFS)
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=2752

The Stick(WFS)
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=133
Hi Aaron.

Good question. I have and use "The Stick" but wasn't even aware of the MuscleTrac. It looks like a torture device .

I have found, for me at least, that foam rolling plus lacrosse ball plus "The Stick" really make a difference in the way I feel (and even in my lifts).

One thing I have been trying recently that might be a less-expensive alternative is 4" hard PVC instead of foam rollers.

My current routine has been lacrosse ball for arches and calves and glutes, foam roller (now replaced with 4" PVC schedule 40 pipe) for hams, glutes, quads, ad/ab-ductors, low back, thoracic spine, lats, and pecs. I then follow up with "The Stick" on my upper back.

Is this similar to what you do?

The MuscleTrac looks like it would work as a replacement for "The Stick" on your upper back. I, personally, have found that foam (or PVC) rolling works better on the rest of the body because you can use bodyweight to really put pressure on any trigger points you find...

Regards,
brittf
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

I generally have the thercane for shoulders, upper back. Tennis balls taped together for spinal muscles, shoulders, and calves. Also dense foam rollers for whole body rolling.

Only reason I am looking for either is to have something portable for prewarmup purposes.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
I generally have the thercane for shoulders, upper back. Tennis balls taped together for spinal muscles, shoulders, and calves. Also dense foam rollers for whole body rolling.

Only reason I am looking for either is to have something portable for prewarmup purposes.
Gotcha. Let me know what you think of it if you end up purchasing it. I would be interested. Sounds like you do a pretty thorough job with your program. Most people seem to pay lip service to the idea of foam rolling and mobility, but then never really follow through.

All the best,
brittf
Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

I used to be one of those guys many years ago, but my current two weeks off from lifting has allowed me to get a lot of trigger point work done on my body.

Will let you know whichever route I go(probably will contact them first to see what its made of and their guarantee for warranty purposes).
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
William Clark

Profile:

I'm new to this whole foam rolling thing, and I was wondering when you all fit it into your workout routine, before/after workout, at night, in the morning, etc.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Off weeks I will do it almost everyday 1-2 sessions. When training,sometimes before lifting or after. Generally at least a few days a week.

Key thing is to do areas that have too much tension. Example for me is bottom of foot, calf muscles and quadriceps(especially the vastus lateralis). I do it to prevent pain, and as a warmup to my stretching(usually 1-2 days per week and after each workout briefly)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Well, I ordered one. Will review when I receive it.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Off weeks I will do it almost everyday 1-2 sessions. When training,sometimes before lifting or after. Generally at least a few days a week.

Key thing is to do areas that have too much tension. Example for me is bottom of foot, calf muscles and quadriceps(especially the vastus lateralis). I do it to prevent pain, and as a warmup to my stretching(usually 1-2 days per week and after each workout briefly)
I agree with Aaron.

I always do it BEFORE my workout and BEFORE my mobility drills. I try to do it at least 3 times per week. However, I am 47 years old and may need it more than a younger person.

It is surprising to me how much it improves mobility and flexibility during my actual workout. By foam rolling (or lacrosse ball or The Stick or 4" PVC) the tight spots on my posterior chain (as Aaron says, the bottom of my foot, calves, lower back, upper back), I gain a lot of mobility and can get into pretty deep squats (for the Olympic movements).

Hope this helps,
brittf
Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I ordered one. Will review when I receive it.
Great. Let me know what you think.

Regards,
brittf