CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-03-2005, 03:39 AM   #1
John Hosey

Profile:  
Was wondering what coach or some of the more experienced members of CF think about doing bodywieght exercises on equipment, for example, squats on a stability ball or balance board. I have been doing my air squats on the items for awhile, sometimes while holding a kettlebell and what not. Just trying to get an outside opinion. People in my office think I am nuts, but I am converting some to CF.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I often use wobble boards when I'm doing CF work. One of my favorites is to do unilateral DB snatches on the wobble board...it ratchets up the difficulty (and the benefit). I've also taken to wearing a weighted vest when doing bodyweight exercises.

Strictly my opinion...but I believe that once you're sure your form is good and you've reached a high level of competence with the bodyweight stuff, it's a good idea to find ways to make things more difficult. I think that you can reach a point of diminishing returns where there's limited benefit to going faster...and that you're better off increasing the challenge at that point. Maybe go "free" occasionally to expose yourself to the high speed, but not every time.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-03-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
John Hosey

Profile:  
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I like the idea of building up my balance for when I might need it, such as snowboarding, skiing, and when I have to go to Iraq and do patrols. I like the knowledge that I will be able to control my weight a lot better through more difficult balance manuevers, ie wobble and balance boards, squats on stability balls, etc.

I just wanted to get a feel for what other people are thinking also.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I've taken to doing my wallball on stability pods- a little shaky on other work. Still have plenty of room to get faster. It definitely makes you clean up your form and pay attention to your body- you're an animal when you're back on solid ground. I, too, get the seriously freaky looks- but this is from the folks you keep saying complaining to the coach that makes them squat that it doesn't make sense, when they can leg press more.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
John Hosey

Profile:  
I might have to get a set of those stability pods. Do you have a link for those? Or can I jsut google it? Didnt think about the balance board and the wallball exercise, thanks.