CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: 1 Month until Marine OCS. Could use advice/help

I went to Juniors with a 22:55 time, and I barely passed the initial PFT when I got there with about 23:50. I struggled mightily with the running. I was fine with most of the other stuff, but OCS is largely focused on running. If you're just going to Juniors, it's probably fine to go with anything under 23 min, but under 22 min or closer to 22 min is better.

You definitely need to up your pushups to at least 60 in a row.

There's a lot of advice in the other threads.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Brad Dougherty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Brad--seeing that you're from NY, just out of curiousity who was your OSO's SNCOIC?
I'm from NY but my OSO is out of Amherst Mass. since I go to school in Vermont.

As far as run time is concerned, try to get that down as much as possible. I am not a fast guy by any means (22 mins on the average) but by getting your run time down, it will make pt a lot easier since you won't be struggling as much. Just follow the previous suggestions of using CFE and practice boots + utes running on dirt roads or trails since that is where most of your running will be.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Dougherty View Post
I'm from NY but my OSO is out of Amherst Mass. since I go to school in Vermont.

As far as run time is concerned, try to get that down as much as possible. I am not a fast guy by any means (22 mins on the average) but by getting your run time down, it will make pt a lot easier since you won't be struggling as much. Just follow the previous suggestions of using CFE and practice boots + utes running on dirt roads or trails since that is where most of your running will be.
If you're just going to Juniors, you don't need to run in boots and utes much. Just do it once or twice, and you'll be fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
Justin McCallon

Profile:

I am not sure what juniors is, but I don't think I am going to it.

I am rising second year law student and I am going through the PLC program.

I maxed out the strict pull-ups and sit-ups today. It seems like I only need a 225 total to get a qualifying PFT score, so I think I'm OK as far as passing goes.

So it sounds like I'll just consistently try hard, but have ****ty run times and then get called a ***** a lot, but then ultimately make it through anyway as long as I don't quit right?

Either way, I'm going to run another 5k tomorrow. If I can't break 23 minutes I'm waiting for a year. Oh, and the protein supplements question was a serious one. I'm 6'4/215 right now. I would really prefer not to lose 30 lbs of muscle over the summer. I will not enjoy bulking back up.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
Donald Lee

Profile:

It sounds like you're going for the 10 week program. I would advise you to wait until next year and find out more about what you're getting yourself into.

You cannot bring protein supplements. I believe the only thing you can bring without a prescription is calcium supplements, but I didn't see anyone bring that so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

You should not worry about losing weight when you're at OCS. You should worry about how you're going to pass OCS, how you're going to better yourself, how you're going to become a better leader of Marines, how you could have had a nice summer off but have to go through all this crap to become a Marine officer, etc.

That would be a better mindset to have. While OCS is largely dependent on your physical capabilities, it's also largely a big mind game, so you have to be prepared for that.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
Matthew Upright

Profile:

Justin,
Think of all the guys that will be showing up to OCS that arent even training right now, that arent asking questions on crossfit. if you want to go to OCS then do it. stop thinking about your run times, stop thinking about your pushups, work on them but dont sweat it. you will not be the slowest or the most out of shape in your group. you will only fail if you let yourself, and judging from the questions you have asked and the advice that you have already started to take that is not an option to you. Look around at some of the Officers in the units around you, you will be better than them! that should be your goal.

I say go through the program. Smoke it! and enjoy being an LT, if you wait another year you just lose another year of life....
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
James Pearce

Profile:

I agree with the above poster, If you want it bad enough, go for it. I graduated class 198 last summer, and while it was no cake walk, the entire experience was not quite as demanding as I expected. I am not trying to make it sound easy by any means, it was one of the most difficult things I have done, but I was worried about all of the little thing going into it, and honestly, 80-90% of success is mental. The staff would rather see someone who runs a 23:00 3 mile but is an excellent team player, works well with their peers, and never gives up than an extremely fit sack of crap. I went in running a 20:13, and after the initial pft, I was right at the cut off for the top third. By the end of it, I was running and 18:30 and was a bit higher than that. We had a lot of candidates who came in running 22:00 -23:00, and they all improved significantly.

Once nice thing about OCS is that while it throws you head first into a lot of things, PT is not one of them. The PT is difficult from the start, but you don't go out there running 14 minute 3 mile fartleks. They gradually build the paces and difficulties of the PT sessions. They are very manageable at first, and get harder every week. I would say expect to run 4 times a week, with most of those runs being the fartlek run (3 miles, hilly) or the MEC/RUN circuit, a 2.5 mile or so run with many more exercise stations. In all graded events except the PFT, you run the event once to get familiar with it, then twice for time, then the final run through is the actual test. There has been a huge shift to "functional fitness" at OCS, and for the most part, the run you into the ground mentality is gone. Also, we didn't really do any boots runs until week 5 or 6.

We we shipped, there were 7 10 week companies on deck, 3 more than usual. In processing took us e6 whole days, with the PFT taking place on the last one if I remember correctly. That means that you basically have a week with no exercise. I would stop PT HEAVILY about 5 -6days before you leave. Your time might be hurt a tiny bit, but you will go into it well rested, which is 10 times as important. When running, do some temp work some days, and do some of the CFE interval workouts. They really help with the speed work, and they helped me bring down my time a lot. Also, do hill work. The hills at Quantico suck, and they are not quite like anywhere else in the country.

OCS is a marathon, not a spring. Rather than just focusing on your run, keep up with crossfit type workouts to boost your overall fitness. Attitude is everything, both about PT and your other tasks. Good luck, Semper Fi.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
Justin McCallon

Profile:

I really appreciate the comments.

I've got one more day to decide now. This got thrown at me pretty fast. I had initially gone to talk to my OSO to get some specifics about joining for next year, and then he told me I could go this year, and I had 2 days to decide.

I'm going to talk to a couple of my friends from CF that are Marine officers tonight and then make a decision. Either way, I think I've got the training part down. Thanks.