CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Zach Gates

Profile:
New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Hey guys. Just joined up.

Background: I'm 23, 6'2, 225 pounds, going to be spending the next six weeks losing weight and using CF to help out. However, the WOD just plain isn't enough.

I'm not going to be doing this long-term (most likely, since I do powerlifting mainly and like to hit up meets periodically), but I would like a good program for the next 6-10 weeks to play around with and need help putting it together.

A few random stats, gym-wise:

Bench max: 375
Bench reps: 315x8, 225x27
Squat max: 440 butt on my calves
Squat reps: 315x15, 225x30
Deadlift max: 520 (though lately anything over five plates feels like a ton haha)
Deadlift reps: 225x50, never tried heavier rep-outs
Last mile time: about seven minutes

So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it. Any advice on how to go about doing this?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it. Any advice on how to go about doing this?

This is funny. Read the CrossFit Journal and do the mainpage WODs (check BrandX for scaling) for the timeframe you project. Then come back and tell us if you need "more meat" in your program.

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 03-19-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: maybe he just needs more bacon?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Welcome. Am I to understand that you haven't actually tried it?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Since you're focus is on competitive powerlifting, you may want to try Performance Menu(wfs). Their WOD's are more strength oriented.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
However, the WOD just plain isn't enough.

...my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Marcus Allen

Profile:

two times
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Come back when you know your Fran time.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Wow, I wouldn't expect these types of responses usually. Hope this isn't where the board is going.

Zach, you're pretty far past the novice stages for strength and basic conditioning, obviously. I think if you did the CF mainpage WOD's as prescribed you would lose a fair amount of PL strength while greatly improving general metcon capabilities and becoming a more balanced athlete in general....but this doesn't really sound like your goal. You'd probably have better luck sticking with your PL program and tossing in a WOD 1-2x/week.

The PM WODs would be great if you were looking to get into Oly lifting, as well.

Don't underestimate the .com WODs - they are usually VERY challenging; much more so than they look on the web (ummm...especially the one you mentioned. ). Give a few of the girls a shot and get back with us on your thoughts. With your strength background, you could probably be a competitive CF'er pretty quickly if it turns out to be your bag.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Wow, I wouldn't expect these types of responses usually. Hope this isn't where the board is going.

Zach, you're pretty far past the novice stages for strength and basic conditioning, obviously. I think if you did the CF mainpage WOD's as prescribed you would lose a fair amount of PL strength while greatly improving general metcon capabilities and becoming a more balanced athlete in general....but this doesn't really sound like your goal. You'd probably have better luck sticking with your PL program and tossing in a WOD 1-2x/week.

The PM WODs would be great if you were looking to get into Oly lifting, as well.

Don't underestimate the .com WODs - they are usually VERY challenging; much more so than they look on the web (ummm...especially the one you mentioned. ). Give a few of the girls a shot and get back with us on your thoughts. With your strength background, you could probably be a competitive CF'er pretty quickly if it turns out to be your bag.
Jacob, thank you for making me a little bit ashamed for laughing at Zach's attitude.

Zach, you have to understand that the reason I and others seem so amused/condescending is because we know that anyone who says "the WOD just plain isn't enough" hasn't tried it, or hasn't done it properly.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Jacob, thank you for making me a little bit ashamed for laughing at Zach's attitude.

Zach, you have to understand that the reason I and others seem so amused/condescending is because we know that anyone who says "the WOD just plain isn't enough" hasn't tried it, or hasn't done it properly.
especially a workout like murph