CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Zach Gates
Member Zach Gates is offline
 
Zach Gates's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Johnstown  PA
Posts: 305
New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Hey guys. Just joined up.

Background: I'm 23, 6'2, 225 pounds, going to be spending the next six weeks losing weight and using CF to help out. However, the WOD just plain isn't enough.

I'm not going to be doing this long-term (most likely, since I do powerlifting mainly and like to hit up meets periodically), but I would like a good program for the next 6-10 weeks to play around with and need help putting it together.

A few random stats, gym-wise:

Bench max: 375
Bench reps: 315x8, 225x27
Squat max: 440 butt on my calves
Squat reps: 315x15, 225x30
Deadlift max: 520 (though lately anything over five plates feels like a ton haha)
Deadlift reps: 225x50, never tried heavier rep-outs
Last mile time: about seven minutes

So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it. Any advice on how to go about doing this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig
Member Amber Mathwig is offline
 
Amber Mathwig's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,148
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it. Any advice on how to go about doing this?

This is funny. Read the CrossFit Journal and do the mainpage WODs (check BrandX for scaling) for the timeframe you project. Then come back and tell us if you need "more meat" in your program.

__________________
I'm on a boat.....

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 03-19-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: maybe he just needs more bacon?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Ned Ferguson
Member Ned Ferguson is offline
 
Ned Ferguson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Knoxville  TN
Posts: 435
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it. Any advice on how to go about doing this?
Welcome. Am I to understand that you haven't actually tried it?
__________________
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! God Bless America.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods
Member Christopher G. Woods is offline
 
Christopher G. Woods's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ellicott City  MD
Posts: 2,119
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Since you're focus is on competitive powerlifting, you may want to try Performance Menu(wfs). Their WOD's are more strength oriented.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Jacob Israel Briskin
Member Jacob Israel Briskin is offline
 
Jacob Israel Briskin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palo Alto  California
Posts: 1,153
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
However, the WOD just plain isn't enough.

...my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example), but for actual workouts I think I need something with more meat on it.
__________________
Citius. Altius. Fortius. Training log.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Marcus Allen
Member Marcus Allen is offline
 
Marcus Allen's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grants Pass  OR
Posts: 1,675
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.



two times
__________________
My Log, CFKids Certified
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Come back when you know your Fran time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud
Member Jacob Cloud is offline
 
Jacob Cloud's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 1,479
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Wow, I wouldn't expect these types of responses usually. Hope this isn't where the board is going.

Zach, you're pretty far past the novice stages for strength and basic conditioning, obviously. I think if you did the CF mainpage WOD's as prescribed you would lose a fair amount of PL strength while greatly improving general metcon capabilities and becoming a more balanced athlete in general....but this doesn't really sound like your goal. You'd probably have better luck sticking with your PL program and tossing in a WOD 1-2x/week.

The PM WODs would be great if you were looking to get into Oly lifting, as well.

Don't underestimate the .com WODs - they are usually VERY challenging; much more so than they look on the web (ummm...especially the one you mentioned. ). Give a few of the girls a shot and get back with us on your thoughts. With your strength background, you could probably be a competitive CF'er pretty quickly if it turns out to be your bag.
__________________
My Workout Log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Jacob Israel Briskin
Member Jacob Israel Briskin is offline
 
Jacob Israel Briskin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palo Alto  California
Posts: 1,153
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Wow, I wouldn't expect these types of responses usually. Hope this isn't where the board is going.

Zach, you're pretty far past the novice stages for strength and basic conditioning, obviously. I think if you did the CF mainpage WOD's as prescribed you would lose a fair amount of PL strength while greatly improving general metcon capabilities and becoming a more balanced athlete in general....but this doesn't really sound like your goal. You'd probably have better luck sticking with your PL program and tossing in a WOD 1-2x/week.

The PM WODs would be great if you were looking to get into Oly lifting, as well.

Don't underestimate the .com WODs - they are usually VERY challenging; much more so than they look on the web (ummm...especially the one you mentioned. ). Give a few of the girls a shot and get back with us on your thoughts. With your strength background, you could probably be a competitive CF'er pretty quickly if it turns out to be your bag.
Jacob, thank you for making me a little bit ashamed for laughing at Zach's attitude.

Zach, you have to understand that the reason I and others seem so amused/condescending is because we know that anyone who says "the WOD just plain isn't enough" hasn't tried it, or hasn't done it properly.
__________________
Citius. Altius. Fortius. Training log.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Jacob, thank you for making me a little bit ashamed for laughing at Zach's attitude.

Zach, you have to understand that the reason I and others seem so amused/condescending is because we know that anyone who says "the WOD just plain isn't enough" hasn't tried it, or hasn't done it properly.
especially a workout like murph
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experienced zoners please help John-erik Granlund Nutrition 5 01-27-2009 08:58 AM
advanced sports nutrition Nicholas Brosko Nutrition 6 09-05-2008 03:43 AM
Experienced weight lifter - hesitant to start Mark Euse Starting 25 01-21-2008 06:49 PM
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced times for Fran, Helen etc? Jerry Mobbs Workout of the Day 4 08-19-2006 12:37 PM
Advanced bodyweight exercises Zach Nikka Exercises 6 08-17-2005 06:13 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.