CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

December 1st's WOD had an exercise know as the straight arm pull to inverted hang, and I saw on dan john's site(in text) an exercise on a workout program know as "high Pull." Is there anywhere on the web where I can find a detailed photo or video sequence of how this exercise is performed?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #2
Joseph

Profile:

Roy,

Check out: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html

www.exrx.net has lots of videos and descriptions. Click the "weight training" link and then the "power training exercises" link to get there if the above link doesn't work.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Roy,

The 2 movements are worlds apart. The straight arm to inverted hang movement is done on a pull-up bar and is a gymnastics-oriented movement. You simply (at least in explanation) pull yourself from a standard hanging position on a pull-up bar (or rings) to an inverted hanging position (i.e., your feet and head have switched places). David Wood gives a great explanation of how to do this manuever in the Comments section of the Dec 1, 2003 WOD: http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/move...i?entry_id=247

The high pull, on the other hand, involves pulling the bar from waist to upper chest. The link Joseph gave you above should suffice. There's also a video of the Sumo Deadlift High Pull in the Exercises section right here at CrossFit (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html). The first half of the video is the guy warming up--don't confuse that with the actual high pull movement!

Hope this helps,

Mike