CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Armand Nicolas

Profile:
Hey i am dealing with a pretty bad thing of burning the fat on different spots of the body like the ones in the pics:
I attached the pics so you can see clear wich body parts i am talking about (the spots are brown marked!):

the first one it will be the area on the top of the triceps and the back of the shoulder?
http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9292/backgu4.gif[/IMG][/url]

lower and lateral abs continued to the legs?
http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3456/frontsp1.gif[/IMG][/url]

the inside leg?
http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4397/legsvb6.gif[/IMG][/url]

Does anyone know any exercises for burning the fat on these spots ?
thank you!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Ooh, bad, bad, bad. We don't spot reduce around here. Actually spot reduction is a myth. Don't expect too many nice replies.

The answer to your question is to lose overall bodyfat with a sound nutrition plan and exercise program. CF is a good way to go. :-)
Old 07-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
armand,
as a personal trainer i have to say this has been the biggest area of frustration to me. it is impossible to "spot reduce" fat off any one area of the body. we are genetically predisposed to carry our fat stores in certain areas. the first place it goes on is likely to be the last place it comes off.
muscle tissue and fat tissue have a completely different makeup. you can no sooner turn fat into muscle than you can turn a pillow into an apple. you can do abdominal work everyday until you are exhausted but that will only give you fabulous abdominal muscles UNDERNEATH the fat that lies on top of it. the only approach that works is 3 pronged:

an excellent eating plan
consistant cardiovascular work
strength training.

the biggest benefit to strength is that the more muscle you have the better your ability to burn calories. muscle is a very metabolic tissue. it has been estimated that 1 pound of muscle burns between 30-50 calories a day....even at rest! in a typical male your age, you can expect to gain 8 pounds of muscle in your first 3 months of crossfit!
i must repeat...as i do nearly every week at the gym:

you can not work one muscle in such a way as to reduce the fat that lies on top of it. it is an overall cumulative effect of doing everything right.

i hope this is not disappointing. happy crossfitting.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Brett Sammis

Profile:
Am I the only one who thought that last picture was kind of disturbung in a cartoonish, funny sort of way?

bts
Old 07-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Luke Hope

Profile:
Mr Hulk,

Please ignore the spot reduction nay-sayers above!!!

For the first picture, try bicep preacher curls. Make sure that you isolate the muscle. Compound movements are terrible for spot reduction!!

For the second picture, the best way to lose lower abdominal fat is crunches. I prescribe three sets of 100 for best results.
Note: DO NOT do a full situp. They are dangerous and hurt your back. Also they are compound movements and thus USELESS for your abs.

For the final pictures, I think some slow cardio might be best. Try walking on a treadmill an hour a day. Don't go too fast! Anything above a brisk walk will get you outside of the `fat burning zone' (google it), and that would be very bad!! High intensity exercise is dangerous, so don't push yourself.

For the green skin issues, you might want to see your doctor.

Regards, and good luck!

-Luke
Old 07-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
Luke: in addition to your "spot"-on advice, another effective spot reduction technique I've heard of is liposuction!

You can also try amputation. Some fighters use that to lose the last few pounds before a big fight weigh-in.

Edit: ok, I was just joking. Please don't cut your arm off to lose weight!

(Message edited by schtool on July 01, 2007)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Armand Nicolas

Profile:
lol :-) liposuction will be the last thing i will ever do tomy body :-)
@Luke - in the 1st pic is not a biceps fat problem ... its kinda triceps one...
@Veronica - what do you mean by "CF" ?
I have to mention i walk a lot everyday ...
i dotn really like running especially in summer...
**(can anyone give me a running scheduel to burn fat and increase resistance please ? )

Overall iam not dissapointed ,i want to burn the fat healthy and keep my muscle mass as it is and i know that means time.
but i was thinking of some pointless exercises for those spots.....

a link for a good nutrition and exercise program for burning overall fat ?
thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Armand, CF = crossfit. As far as links to a good nutrition and exercise program? You've found it already. Just spend some time reading the posts on this board and follow the WOD's (workout of the day on the main page) and you'll see progress. The guys are being quite sarcastic. Listen to us ladies. :-)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Luke Hope

Profile:
Armand. My apologies! Try "skullcrushers"!!

Yours in spot reduction,

-Luke
Old 07-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Brett Sammis

Profile:
>>@Veronica - what do you mean by "CF"

Armand, I would browse around this site a little bit more. Check out the articles, read the FAQs, etc. There are answers to your questions and more.

bts