CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Just something I observed about people in hard labor occupations. They are usually really over weight or really skinny. Never something who is average with a nice build. I would think doing hard labor, say roofing or concrete work would make you a bit more in shape.

What about this type of work seems to wear people down so they are so poorly formed? I know there are exceptions and someone who takes fitness seriously would not have this problem. I am asking about the average lifer in these industries. It just seems the labor does not help them.

Adam
Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Maybe something to do with socio-economics and eating/exercise habits? Hate to say it (hate "class") but it could be relevant.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Could it also have to do with the fact that if you spend all day on your feet, working outside that you might not have the energy to do dedicated "exercise" to keep yourself in shape? Also, eating habits probably suffer when people eat lunch on the job and have fast food a lot.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I was thinking 8 hours of butt busting work, would do something good for you.

I guess it shows eatting right is very important.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Scott Borre

Profile:
A lot of these people are quite strong in certain ways. Often really strong grips. But think of the type of work they are doing. Its like jogging in a way. Its slow, meticulous (in many ways), and it rarely has heavy exertion efforts.

Add that to stress, and eating, drinking, and smoking habits, I think you'll find your answer.

That said I do so some with better shape. They tend to be those where vanity is important and they tend to do bodybuilder workouts.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
It's all about diet. I work with a few Mexican fellows and you can clearly see the difference in body composition and health between those who eat properly and those who don't. I do masonry work, so it's a lot of lifting, twisting with heavy weight, moving heavy materials like wheel barrows, buckets of sand or water, lifting 60-70 lb blocks over head repeatedly. It's good work for staying fit IF a proper lifestyle of proper nutrition, sleep, and stress reduction is followed. Only one of the guys I work with actually takes care of himself and the results speak for themselves. He eats vegetables and fruit everyday at lunch and maintains a lean, strong body. The other guys that eat sandwiches and chips for lunch are all flabby and weak despite their hard work. Diet is very important.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
most of america eats like each meal is a onetime pass through a very expensive all you can eat buffet.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Diet + adaptation.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Wade Miller

Profile:
It all comes down to diet and proper rest.

Just like what has been mentioned above.

But a side note:

I would rather be the so called flabby out of shape construction worker type guy than the same body shape office worker who sits on their butt all day. Guy #1 would fare much better and adapt much quicker to what we do here.

Same as, I would pick a fit construction worker over a fit body builder in a scrap anyday.

Just a thought, who knows I could be wrong.

All the best,

Wade

Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
I did some work in the hay "industry". There is nothing like an ice cold 6 pack of lager after a few hours on the mow. This is only one data point. Then you hit the bar for some eats and more beer. rinse repeat.