CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:
King Kong ain't got Sh@%# on this!

Don't get me wrong I am truly amazed at the athleticism of these guys in the King Kong video. Very impressive. I'm here to put a little twist on it. Just my version. Not better, not worse. Just something different.

My version would be performed every third week. This is based on my sons powerlifting routine schedule. I'll also list a CF schedule at the end of this as well. Just something to play around with. Give me your thoughts and opinions.

Week#1:
Fri.: Squat-Accessory Exercises
Sat.: Bench-AE
Sun.: Deadlift-AE

Week #2:
Fri.: Deadlift-AE
Sat.: Bench-AE
Sun.: Squat-AE

Week#3:
Fri.: Light stretching and rest
Sat.: Multi-Event Lifting (see schedule below)
Sun.: Light cardio/stretching and rest

Week#4:
Repeat Cycle

Multi Event Lifting Schedule: 3 Rounds Best Time
1st 3 weeks:
Reps:1 Squat 90% 315 lb My sons #'s
Reps:2 Bench 85% 215 lb
Reps:3 Deadlift 80% 350 lb
Reps:4 Powerclean 75 % 150 lb
Reps:5 Push Press 70 % 175 lb
__________________________________________________ _________
2nd 3 weeks:
Reps:1 Push Press 90% 225 lb
Reps:2 Squat 85% 300 lb
Reps:3 Bench 80% 200 lb
Reps:4 Deadlift 75% 325 lb
Reps:5 Power Clean 70% 140 lb
3rd 3 weeks:
Reps:1 Power Clean 90% 180 lb
Reps:2 Push Press 85% 210 lb
Reps:3 Squat 80% 280 lb
Reps:4 Bench 75% 185 lb
Reps:5 Deadlift 70% 305 lb
4th 3 weeks:
Reps:1 Deadlift 90% 390 lb
Reps:2 Power Clean 85% 170 lb
Reps:3 Push Press 80% 200 lb
Reps:4 Squat 75% 260 lb
Reps:5 Bench 70% 175 lb
5th 3 weeks:
Reps:1 Bench 90% 225 lb
Reps:2 Deadlift 85% 170 lb
Reps:3 Power Clean 80% 160 lb
Reps:4 Push Press 75% 185 lb
Reps:5 Squat 70% 245 lb
Repeat Cycle: Add 5 lbs. to each lift

CrossFit Cycle Version:
3-Days Cf WOD's (ie. M, T, W)
1-Day Rest (ie. Th)
3-Days CF WOD's (ie. Tu, W, Th)
2-Days Rest (ie. F, Sa)
Repeat Cycle
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: King Kong ain't got Sh@%# on this!

looks like an interesting program. heavy lifting for time would be something different.

so if i understand the schedule, please correct me if i am wrong, the first week you would do xfit wod's m,t,w and then rest thursday then do squats on fri, bench on sat, and deads on sun? the following week you would do xfit wod's t,w,th with deads on fri, bench on sat, and squats on sun? and so on...?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

You could do it that way but that's not how I designed it. It would be one or the other.

For those like my son that are doing more of a powerlifting schedule they would stick to the top portion of the routine: Fri: squat, Sat.: Bench & Sun. Deadlift and every third week on Sat. perform the multi-event lifts.

For those individuals only wanting to do Crossfit they would follow the bottom Crossfit routine and every thirteenth day perform the multi-event lifts.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Zach S

Profile:

Looks really cool, and something i would be interested in. I dont know what it has to do with the king kong wod though.

See ya in an hour.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

What's with lifting only on Fri/Sat/Sun?

Not really a huge fan of this plan. I much prefer TX Method style programming, and the idea of repeating a King-Kong style workout every 3 weeks is "OK," but combining heavy DLs and heavy PCs for time when the goal is increased strength is "meh." I'd prefer to see more traditional GPP/Metcon style work on the side, with the actual strength work very focused, and with plenty of rest between sets. Not to mention more squatting, whether it's 3 times a week ala Rip, or 2x/wk heavy/fast ala Westside.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

The reasoning behind this schedule is due to the fact that I only have my son on Fri., Sat., and Sun.. He lives with his mother during the school week. These are the only three days we can train. So far it's worked extremely well for him. His strength continues to improve each month.

This is something I thought we would try for fun after the Dec. 6th World Powerlifting Championships that he's competing in. He's been very strict and focused with his powerlifting schedule and I thought this would be a nice break for him since he will not be competing again until March 2009.

He still has his regular 3 days of powerlifting and accessory work but every third week he can work on a multi-event day by adding in the power clean and push press along with the three main power lifts.

This should help not only with his strength but improve his physical conditioning and performance. Just something fun to try. He watched the King Kong video and got really pumped up to try something similar. So this is what we came up with.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I don't have an opinion on the program you outlined, but I don't really see any connection with King Kong.

The purpose of King Kong was to punish the big guys on the gymnastics and the little guys on heavy lifts.

You have 45 reps between 70-90% of 1RM, but no gymnastics stuff. I'd say it's completely different.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Well, some of the lifts are the same. The big powerlifters would struggle even at these percentages to keep up a decent pace for three rounds and the little guys would also struggle equally due to the load lifted for time.

By the way there is a new powerlifting federation World Class Pro Powerlifting W/F/S that is planning on using a similar concept for their competitions. The federation is still in the works but you can check their website for updates and progress.

From what I understand of it they want to change the image of powerlifting. No more 2 and 3 ply suits to assist in unbelievable numbers lifted. Just pure raw lifting. They also want to add something similar to what I put together. Random order of lifts, 1 rep max lifts as in a typical powerlifting competition and also repetition max lifts which would be done in random order. Similar to the CrossFit Games Hopper style. No one knows what they're getting until the day of the event. This way you'd have to be a true athlete to compete. Not just some huge muscle bound steroid freak that can only lift for one rep but has no true athleticism. They have even considered adding in the CrossFit Total to the list of competitions.

It should be interesting to see how these traditional powerlifters hold up to some non-traditional powerlifting competitions.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Barnett View Post
From what I understand of it they want to change the image of powerlifting. No more 2 and 3 ply suits to assist in unbelievable numbers lifted. Just pure raw lifting. They also want to add something similar to what I put together. Random order of lifts, 1 rep max lifts as in a typical powerlifting competition and also repetition max lifts which would be done in random order. Similar to the CrossFit Games Hopper style. No one knows what they're getting until the day of the event. This way you'd have to be a true athlete to compete. Not just some huge muscle bound steroid freak that can only lift for one rep but has no true athleticism. They have even considered adding in the CrossFit Total to the list of competitions.
Did you check out their stance on drug testing? They go out of their way to say they will not test, that AAS will not help a lifter get an edge.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Yeah. I just read that. Didn't see that earlier. I understand where they're coming from though. Steroids are unfortunately a part of every sport these days whether we or the athletes want to admit it. I do know some of the people already in this federation that unfortunately are under Dr. prescribed HRT. One is a close friend recovering from cancer. By taking this drug even by prescription he could be disqualified in other federations. The same holds true for many seniors that may also be under Dr. prescribed medications.

I'm not agreeing with this or disagreeing with it. Just helping to point out why they did this.

As quoted on their site "PLUS, as has been shown by lifters such as Bill Blackstone, John Dolan, Terry Tucker, Neal Dreisig, Claude Bouyer and more, "clean" lifters can compete and win against "juicers".