CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
What sport has the hardest training?

Is it fighting, football, rugby, soccer, cycling, any that I am missing? I want to know which athletes train harder then anyone else...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: What sport has the hardest training?

Could it be swimming? They spend a lot of time per day in that pool, plus other weight training stuff. And you can't discount the fact that working that hard in the water is something most people can't do. Of course, they don't have someone trying to beat the crap out of them either, so....
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Steven Anderson

Profile:

I think that the MMA guys, especially the lightweights (155lbs. and up) and the welterweights (170lbs.) are so versatile in their training and I think the demands are great.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Could it be swimming? They spend a lot of time per day in that pool, plus other weight training stuff. And you can't discount the fact that working that hard in the water is something most people can't do. Of course, they don't have someone trying to beat the crap out of them either, so....
Using your example...how about water polo? Swimming combined with getting the crap beat out of you.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Using your example...how about water polo? Swimming combined with getting the crap beat out of you.
Ha! Don't know why I didn't think of that! A handful of times, when I was in college, I went to practice with the waterpolo team. It was just a club sport back then, and it was all guys. They were more than kind to me, but it was still scary at times!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
I think that the MMA guys, especially the lightweights (155lbs. and up) and the welterweights (170lbs.) are so versatile in their training and I think the demands are great.
why only the lighterweights? From my experience the training is similar. I would agree that mma fighters have to be pretty far up the list. Swimming is an interesting one. The spend tons of time in the water and the technical ability needed to be competitive is insane....
Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Steve Kaspar

Profile:

thats almost an impossible question to answer.
physically, a professional boxer may hurt more that a golfer after a training session, but maybe the golfer has a better record in tournaments than the boxer has in his matches. both are pro's but both train in different ways.maybe a golfer trains twice as long. maybe not as physical, but spends lots of time training..
personally, i ran. trained very hard, and those interval sesions hurt big time.
i played semi pro hockey, and all those years of training hurt. i currently bike race and the workouts i do hurt big time. its not ez to go out the door in mid 30 degree temperatures and do a 4 hour hard training ride with the rain coming down, but it has to be done if you want to be competitive in races.(ask ian carver) all sports are hard. hard in different ways. x-country sking i heard is very tough. never seen an olympic rower smiling 3/4 of the way thru his/her race. boxing, wrestling, every sport is tough. tough in their own way..
steve kaspar
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Brandon Bergin

Profile:

Having been a competitive swimmer for years, I can offer some perspective.

Being completely honest, about 75% of the time spent in the pool by any respectable team is spent doing drill/stroke/technique/pace work. So while you're spending 3-4 hours a day in the pool, it's not like the crossfit mentality where everything is done at super high intensity.

To this day, even after years of "Hell Week" (week after Christmas) practices where I thought I'd rather die than swim two more laps, the hardest workouts I've ever done were elsewhere. (Fight Gone Bad comes to mind)

Not saying it's not hard, but I'm willing to bet some of the MMA guys train harder.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I'm kind of rethinking this. Here's my conclusion. All elite athletes train hard and hurt. So I'm going with the sports where you get the crap beat out of you. Boxing or ice hockey...sports where you routinely lose teeth. That's tough!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaspar View Post
thats almost an impossible question to answer.
physically, a professional boxer may hurt more that a golfer after a training session, but maybe the golfer has a better record in tournaments than the boxer has in his matches. both are pro's but both train in different ways.maybe a golfer trains twice as long. maybe not as physical, but spends lots of time training..
personally, i ran. trained very hard, and those interval sesions hurt big time.
i played semi pro hockey, and all those years of training hurt. i currently bike race and the workouts i do hurt big time. its not ez to go out the door in mid 30 degree temperatures and do a 4 hour hard training ride with the rain coming down, but it has to be done if you want to be competitive in races.(ask ian carver) all sports are hard. hard in different ways. x-country sking i heard is very tough. never seen an olympic rower smiling 3/4 of the way thru his/her race. boxing, wrestling, every sport is tough. tough in their own way..
steve kaspar

Good answer...and it is a hard question to answer. But it is interesting to think about who trains the hardest, i guess the requirments would be..length of training X intensity of training...right? and maybe risk of physical injury? Should mental strength be included?