CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
For a heavy sandbag, the easiest way is to buy prepacked sand for construction purposes in your local hardware/construction store - over here in Europe, they sell it in 25kg reinforced paper bags - don't know what the US standard is.

In any case, don't open those bags! Instead, wrap them in multiple garbage bags - one over the other. I think I used 5 garbage bags or so per sandbag, each taped together with simple packing tape to close it. The trick is the multiple layers, that will save you from any leaks that will eventually occur - no way around that.

Then you have a nice 25kg packet. Put several of them into your duffle bag or whatever outer shell you use, and you are done. Not quite as nice as the many bags option that Ross Enamait recommends, but also much faster - it takes forever to pack 50kg of sand into taped zip lock bags - I did it, I know what I am talking about.

Obviously, you could also use some 25kg "big" bags for base building of the weight and use some of the smaller bags to fine tune the weight. That works very well.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #12
Peter Queen

Profile:
Allen, sweeeeeeeeeettt! That pdf is just the ticket. I read through it and found it to be a great way to get a very durable and very practicle homemade 100+ lb weighted bag. In this case the weights would be sand. Very cheap, very accessible, very do-able. And like Tim said, Ross Enamait also suggested picking up sand at HD for just pennies on the dollar. There are plenty of lakes here in Wisconsin also, about 1,000. And where there are lakes there are plenty of boats and boating supply stores for getting the heavy sea bags from. There are 3 stores within a 10 mile radius of my home alone.
Again I say, sweeeeeeeeettt!

Christian: you read my mind. I was thinking along the same exact lines. Why go through the extra steps of putting sand that is already packaged in something else, as Ross suggested in his pdf. I can just reinforce the ones that I get from HD in the first place.:g:

Well then, I know what I will be doing this weekend hopefully.
As Bruce Wayne said to his faithful butler in the first Batman movie…” Alfred, let’s go shopping!”

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/32426.jpg
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Peter Queen

Profile:
Oh yeah, thanks everybody!:biggrinthumb:
Old 11-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I have one bag that has 70lbs of dirt it, then I made a bunch of 20lb 'nuggets' so that I have a lot of room for adustment.

If I were to start over again. I might use rice instead. 50lb bags aren't that much more expensive. It is bigger and softer than sand (which starts to hurt after a while). It also wouldn't leak as easily.

. . . and as far as the carrying another person thing. . . They will most likely be hurting too much to be carried for that long (trust me)- but yes, that is the idea.

(Message edited by jjones on November 03, 2006)
Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
Aaron Dutton

Profile:
Any downsides to the 50lbs of rice? Water/rodent issues?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #16
Peter Queen

Profile:
Aaron I don't see a problem at all. Just make sure that the bag is secured and properly sealed to prevent leaking. Obviously you want to store it where it can't be tampered with by rodent's or any potential flooding issues, that is to say if you live in a low land area where flooding is prominent after heavy rains. Otherwise, the way I see it...50lbs is 50lbs IMO.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Peter Queen

Profile:
Aaron, I just remembered, you can always store the bags in one of those heavy duty plastic storage bins. Walmart has hundreds of them. Make sure you get the cover with it. They are great for storing all sorts of things and comes in all sizes and can be kept outside all year round without any damage to the contents. My wife and I use those things all the time.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Rats will just make the run more interesting.

They can also provide an excellent mid-run paleo snack.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Ian Carver

Profile:
HAHAHAHA- Friggin' funny, Jeremy! Thanks to my over-active imagination, I've been giggling like a schoolgirl for several minutes now.