CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Feel really full on the Zone diet...something is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post
So raisins aren't high in fiber, but oatmeal is. You only need so much fiber in a day. Look what happens when you have nothing but bran or grape nuts for breakfast. The result isn't pretty.
Raisins are dried fruit and contain plenty of nutrients. Very good source of potassium and other nutrients. Great source of high quality carbs. Minimally nutritional?

High GI is not necessarily a bad thing. It means it is absorbed and stored away quickly. This can be bad news for sedentary people who eat a lot of these foods. Frequent spikes that exceed the body's capacity for absorption can result in insulin resistance.
Quick, easy energy is what an active person wants. That's what will recharge you faster and more completely than anything else.
It is nice to have your food out of your system and already stored away when it comes time to work out.
Look up the 'Pima paradox.'

I don't get the prevalent 'sugar is bad' mentality in conventional nutrition.
You don't have to be an expert to realize that eating fruit or honey is different from eating table sugar.
High fructose corn syrup contains fructose, the same stuff you get in fruit.
Why is it bad for you? It's 90% fructose. The human body can only handle proportions of about %40, because this is approximately what occurs in nature. It's a case of way too much of a good thing.
Refined table sugar is sucrose. Your body has to actually spend the effort to break it down into glucose and fructose. It has the same problem as other refined foods: your body gives nutrients to process, but gets nothing back.

Honey: Has just about the 40% fructose profile you get in nature, similar levels for glucose, I believe. It's already in a predigested form your body can readily absorb, and quickly incorporates into your system. Honey is one of the best possible foods for the active person. It's easy energy, and as such it makes things you mix it with easier to incorporate into your body.
Ultimately, running your digestive system efficiently is just as important as eating the right stuff.
Dude - get off the bandwagon that carbs are the only way you get energy. Thousands of people here and medical science can prove you wrong. Enough already - go do some real research.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
Justin Shipley

Profile:

I agree with the over-emphasis on fibre these days; yeah sure most people will benefit from more , but hey, look at what 'most people' eat...Fibre for fibres' sake is digestively hard work.
Leave the digestion of all that fibre to animals with four stomachs who are designed by nature to efficientl extract nutrients from said fibre, and just drink their milk and eat their meat. Much quicker and easier.
Again , there is this focus on ratios and GI and a lack of regard for mineral nutrients. By implication and sometimes even directly people are saying 'if i get my ratios right all will be well'
The body recognizes NUTRITION in what you shove down your neck, not ratios of fat to carb to protein. Minerals. Elements on the periodic table. You know...
Mineral content in food is not a given.
You can satisfy the 30-30-40 ratio with urea, canola oil, and white sugar as your sources of nutrition, but let me tell you that the nutritional profile of these foods is very different from, say wild venison, duck fat, and wild yams.And we all know what choice of inputs will give better performance, better short term feelings of wellbeing, and better long term prospects of robust good health..... and why?
MINERALS!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Dude - get off the bandwagon that carbs are the only way you get energy. Thousands of people here and medical science can prove you wrong. Enough already - go do some real research.

I think, and agree, that Zygmunts words are a reaction to the levels of ignorance displayed on these boards concerning carbs, their sources, action in the body, and preparation of said carbs to gain max effect with minimum downside.
Too many of you have thrown out the baby with the bathwater, carb-wise.
Sure, refined carbs are up there with poverty as a blight on humanity... avoid them. But there a re a lot more choices for carbs that are tasty, healthy, and confer none of the negatives we fear, than the choices offered up on these threads would lead one to believe.
Having clarified that I would hesitate to go too heavy on them as an energy source, just keep them in their place.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #24
Chris Miskowiec

Profile:

I missed where anyone denigrated carbohydrates as a whole. A lot of the time people posting their diets here get told rightly so that they don't have enough carbs.

Also, the Zone diet has mountains of anecdotal and empirical data showing how it can improve performance. I would like to see the results of Zygmunt's studies on the raisin and honey diet
Old 08-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #25
Pilar Grace

Profile:

Justin, my issue with Zygmunt is the fact that he has come on these boards to basically tell everyone on here that everything we do is wrong, from eating to exercise. While I can appreciate that what he says may somewhat work for him and keeps him motivated, he has not bothered to read the research that supports the CrossFit methodology or the high protein diet. Never mind that there are plenty of people on here that have tried the route he advocates and have injured their health or at least found no benefit to it.

Your contributions regarding mineral content of food I find to be very interesting and I plan on learning as from your contributions to the discussion.

Zygmunt...I might listen to him if he'd stop calling Coach and others names.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
Zygmunt Bukowski

Profile:

my issue with Zygmunt is the fact that he has come on these boards to basically tell everyone on here that everything we do is wrong, from eating to exercise.
he has not bothered to read the research that supports the CrossFit methodology

I will be the first admit that I have not endeavored to be entirely agreeable. However, perhaps challenging the actual practitioners of a given system to defend their views might end up teaching me more, faster than reading the books could. Perhaps I prefer going to people before the literature. I have indeed gotten lots of information on this forum about exactly what the zone system is and the reasons for using it.

Zygmunt...I might listen to him if he'd stop calling Coach and others names.

Maybe I'm an unlikable fellow, but how does this invalidate my arguments?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Quote:
....Because they are wrong?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #28
Pilar Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post

It's the difference between the carrot and the stick. You will get a more open-minded response if you don't close people's minds by being abrasive in the first place.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar Grace View Post
It's the difference between the carrot and the stick. You will get a more open-minded response if you don't close people's minds by being abrasive in the first place.
Ha! It's the other way around. Any mention of oatmeal, bread, or any starchy carb will almost certainly be met with soapbox diatribes about how the person knows nothing about nutrition and how those carb choices are so aweful. There's virtually no room for dissent from the low carb/high fat methodology without getting your head bit off by someone who thinks they know all the answers largely because of their anecdotal evidence.

Zygmunt may not have used much tact, but I think the reason people have a problem with him is because he's talking about things they don't want to hear.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #30
Zygmunt Bukowski

Profile:

Being silver tongued is of course a great way to influence people, but it doesn't mean one is right. If I said all the right things to bring your guard down, I might just be a Mr. Wickham. Therefore, I must question whether people ought to close their minds when confronted with an abrasive personality.
Of course, people do often react with hostility to the opinions of those who are less than friendly, but you argue from ad populum. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean everyone should.

Because they are wrong?
You disagree with me. Step 2: Counter my claims, refute my arguments.

I do not believe carbs are the only way to get energy. It is the best way of getting energy that is processed into glycogen stores.
I am easily to be proven wrong? By all means then, prove my arguments wrong.

You and me are gonna work together here Zygmunt.

I concur, Mr. Shipley.