CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Jimi Smoot

Profile:
Feel really full on the Zone diet...something is wrong

Hey folks today is my first day to the zone so please excuse me if i am completely off. Anyhoo, its the end of the day and I feel like have been stuffed all day long. On the other hand, my energy levels were high all day, I was strong at krav maga, and I dead lifted strong. I just feel like Ive been eating too much which makes me think I am miscounting blocks or something. Can yall tell me what (if anything) im doing wrong?

From the block calculator, I should be doing 24 blocks a day but I just don’t see how that’s possible. From what I measured ive only had 12 bocks (half of my daily amount needed)

Body measurements & Zone Requirements:
Body Fat %: 28.00
Body Fat Weight (lbs): 72.80
Lean Body Mass (lbs): 187.20
Daily Protein Requirement (g): 168.48
or # of Blocks of Protein: 24
# of Blocks of Carbohydrate: 24
# of Blocks of Fat: 24

---The Meals----
Breakfast: 4 Blocks
3 hardboiled eggs-----3blocks protein
1 cup oats -----------3blocks carbs
1oz cheese-----------1block protein
2tsp peanut butter----4blocks fat
1 other block of carbs, I cant remember what it was

Lunch: 5 blocks
3 oz chicken ---3 blocks protein
1 slice bread ---2 blocks carbs
1/2 tomatoes----1 blocks carbs
2 pieces bacon-1 block protein
1 cup milk------1 block protein + 1 block carbs
12 Almonds----- 4 blocks fat

Dinner: 3 blocks
1 Corn Tortia---2 blocks carbs
2 oz chicken----2 blocks protein
1tbs Olive Oil---3 blocks fat
1 cup Milk -----1 block protein + 1 block carbs

Last edited by Jimi Smoot : 08-19-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: Feel really full on the Zone diet...something is wrong

I think you should do you block calculations again. I would go with 19 blocks especially if you are full on the amount you have been eating. At 28% BF you could easily go towards the low side for a while.

The normal CF factor is 0.7, looks like you used 0.9

While one whole egg is 1 block protein it is also 2 blocks of fat, check the fat in your cheese as well. Are you measuring your cheese or eyeballing it I usually use way more than one ounce of cheese on my eggs when I have it.

By the label on my oatmeal 1/2 cup dry is 27 grams of carbs which is three blocks of carbs, One cup should be 6 blocks of carbs.

I assume your goal is performance/weight loss. Do yourself a favor and weigh measure and write down everything for two weeks. When you have a block of carbs for breakfast but can't remember what it was it makes me think you are "winging it just a little"
Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Matt Charney

Profile:

I agree with Craig start out on the lower block requirement. If those are cooked steel cut oats then 3 blocks is correct. What was the timing of these meals?

I'm @ 20 blocks and to get all those blocks in I eat more smaller meals throughout the day. I feel like I am constantly eating but I've had nothing but good results.

I avoid the egg yolks and add additional fat. With the yolks you should cut some of the added fat. Also with the bacon at lunch it probably had enough fat to not require additional fat. Milk also has some fat depending on the %.

Keeping a journal can help you find what foods work best for you.

Matt
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Jimi Smoot

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van De Walker View Post
While one whole egg is 1 block protein it is also 2 blocks of fat, check the fat in your cheese as well. Are you measuring your cheese or eyeballing it I usually use way more than one ounce of cheese on my eggs when I have it.

I must be missing something, because on the blockchart (from the crossfit pdf on the zone) A Whole egg only appears under protein. Are there special cases not noted on the block chart?

BTW I just picked up a scale and set of measuring cups / spoons. So my measurements should be square on from now on.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Christian Habib

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Smoot View Post
I must be missing something, because on the blockchart (from the crossfit pdf on the zone) A Whole egg only appears under protein. Are there special cases not noted on the block chart?

BTW I just picked up a scale and set of measuring cups / spoons. So my measurements should be square on from now on.
Generally speaking, 1 block (7g) of protein is assumed to also contain 1.5g of fat, however whole eggs contain disproportionately more fat than most protein sources as they contain 4.5g of fat for 7g of protein. This is essentially equivalent to 1 protein, 2 fats.

Whether or not you decide to factor that into your Zone calculations depends on how picky and strict you want to be with nutrition.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Jimi Smoot

Profile:

I am also getting a bit confused when looking at the lables vs. the crossfit journal block chart.

Oatmeal for instance, has carbs protein and fat...should I compute everything by the label or by the block chart?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Matt Charney

Profile:

I've been using the Zone block chart for most calculations. You can get exact and measure every single macronutrient in everything you eat but I don't think you need to go that deep. Some of the pros have done this in the past.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Smoot View Post
I am also getting a bit confused when looking at the lables vs. the crossfit journal block chart.

Oatmeal for instance, has carbs protein and fat...should I compute everything by the label or by the block chart?
Block chart or you will go crazy.

If you eat veggies as your main carb on the Zone you will ALWAYS burst your gut. Its a ton of volume to get the amount of carbohydrates the Zone calls for because most of a veggie (especially the green ones) is fiber. Fiber doesn't count in the carb calculation because you don't digest (insoluble) the kind that is discounted.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Zygmunt Bukowski

Profile:

Eat as much as you need, worry about blocks later.

Do you actually eat everything as you list it? In discrete separate units?
Your stomach would be better at ease if you took some pleasure in the daily activity of eating and improvised tasty dishes out of your basic building blocks(perhaps you already do, I'm assuming you had a one slice sandwich for lunch) Doing some home cooking might throw off your count a bit, perhaps cook some foods you're told shouldn't be cooked, but it would make your routine a lot more enjoyable.
Oatmeal, for instance, is bland unless you flavor it(is that what the peanut butter is for?). Say, with a couple tablespoons honey, a dash of cooking brandy,cinnamon, raisins, a couple sprinkles allspice...
Just because you're trying to keep in shape doesn't mean you have to live off of Spartan black stew.

The last poster is absolutely right about not eating too many veggies. They're difficult to digest and don't give very much back, they'll tie up your whole system, preventing you from getting the energy you need.

Additionally,
You really don't need that many eggs in a day, let alone in one meal. I realize this to be sacrilege, but I would recommend making the oatmeal the base of your breakfast. This is just a voice coming to you from outside the world of crossfit.
I might recommend yogurt in place of cheese, much easier on the stomach, but much less dense in energy.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Pilar Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt Bukowski View Post
Eat as much as you need, worry about blocks later.

Do you actually eat everything as you list it? In discrete separate units?
Your stomach would be better at ease if you took some pleasure in the daily activity of eating and improvised tasty dishes out of your basic building blocks(perhaps you already do, I'm assuming you had a one slice sandwich for lunch) Doing some home cooking might throw off your count a bit, perhaps cook some foods you're told shouldn't be cooked, but it would make your routine a lot more enjoyable.
Oatmeal, for instance, is bland unless you flavor it(is that what the peanut butter is for?). Say, with a couple tablespoons honey, a dash of cooking brandy,cinnamon, raisins, a couple sprinkles allspice...
Just because you're trying to keep in shape doesn't mean you have to live off of Spartan black stew.

The last poster is absolutely right about not eating too many veggies. They're difficult to digest and don't give very much back, they'll tie up your whole system, preventing you from getting the energy you need.

Additionally,
You really don't need that many eggs in a day, let alone in one meal. I realize this to be sacrilege, but I would recommend making the oatmeal the base of your breakfast. This is just a voice coming to you from outside the world of crossfit.
I might recommend yogurt in place of cheese, much easier on the stomach, but much less dense in energy.
Troll....He is asking about the Zone. If you have nothing to contribute towards his original question, DON'T! Telling someone who is zoning to eat honey and raisins is the work of the uninformed. BTW the last poster did not say to not eat veggies. He said it was easy to get full on them.

JIMI, follow the block charts and don't worry about the "invisible" calories. DO recalculate your blocks. It looks like if you use 0.75 for your activity level, then you would be on 20 blocks. CFers use .7, you can raise that slightly due to the Krav Maga.