CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: 080528 - compared to 080420 30# decrease... WTF?!

15 blocks when you're 210? How tall are you?

A decent rule of thumb is to take your lean mass and divide it by 10 - that's your block prescription.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres O Johnson View Post
Again, sorry for flipping out and overreacting Saturday.
Try reading PP by Rip (if you haven't), might help you understand why sometimes you're strength is down in the gym.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
15 blocks when you're 210? How tall are you?

A decent rule of thumb is to take your lean mass and divide it by 10 - that's your block prescription.
Only 5'7". I'm a stocky guy.

Why do you ask? Is this too much? Too little? I estimated my lbm using Dr. Sears' method in the book 'Mastering the Zone'. Apparently I'm a pudgy guy too.

Also, I'm probably closer to 215 right now though much of it may be water weight (I didn't do so well with the nutrition side this past weekend). I started at 237, I've been eating 15 blocks since.

Last edited by Tres O Johnson : 06-03-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #14
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Try reading PP by Rip (if you haven't), might help you understand why sometimes you're strength is down in the gym.
I'm sorry... PP? Is that an article or book by Rippetoe?

EDIT: Practical Programming, got it!

Last edited by Tres O Johnson : 06-03-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Brandon Tullos

Profile:

The few things that i can tell you that are important on going up on your lifts especially with heavier weights is being prepared for that day with a good breakfast and/or lunch that day and having rested well that night. Not only that but the WOD or whatever you did the day before could have impacted you on that day and also if you have not been doing any workouts that had any emphasis on shoulders then your strength in that area could decline. You said you dead lift went up but as most people know squats and leg work is pretty much an every day thing so that makes sense. But heck for me one day i can do one or two muscle ups and some days and can't even get halfway up it just varies. However i do work construction and some days are harder on my body that others. The best thing is to not let it get you down but strive to work harder and try to go beyond what you have done before. Thats what motivates me and i regularly post the best times in the gym. Its all in your mind! The stronger it is the stronger you will be i promise.

Last edited by Brandon Tullos : 06-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
Tres O Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Tullos View Post
The few things that i can tell you that are important on going up on your lifts especially with heavier weights is being prepared for that day with a good breakfast and/or lunch that day and having rested well that night. Not only that but the WOD or whatever you did the day before could have impacted you on that day and also if you have not been doing any workouts that had any emphasis on shoulders then your strength in that area could decline. You said you dead lift went up but as most people know squats and leg work is pretty much an every day thing so that makes sense. But heck for me one day i can do one or two muscle ups and some days and can't even get halfway up it just varies. However i do work construction and some days are harder on my body that others. The best thing is to not let it get you down but strive to work harder and try to go beyond what you have done before. Thats what motivates me and i regularly post the best times in the gym. Its all in your mind! The stronger it is the stronger you will be i promise.
Thanks for the kind words Brandon. I'll try to keep everything in perspective and keep my mind right.