CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Harry Shaw

Profile:
is it advised to decrease the # blocks per day if you r not finishing your food?

hey guys I finally sat down and planned my whole week on the zone, Im eating a 5 5 2 5 2 ratio so 19 blocks... the problem is that Im not finishing my food. I am very active with crossfit, mma and self defense would it kill me to go down to a 15 block day?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Michael Drew

Profile:
Re: is it advised to decrease the # blocks per day if you r not finishing your food?

You should make sure your eating the right amount of blocks (ie. you haven't overestimated). If you eat less blocks you'll end up losing weight.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Moran Bentzur

Profile:
Re: is it advised to decrease the # blocks per day if you r not finishing your food?

From my short experience on the zone you will either lose weight like Michael said, or even worse (in case you don't need to lose weight) you will drop off the zone wagon after a short period. Because you will be under-eating you will succumb easier to cheat meals and will fudge up your zoning. If 19 is really the prescribed block # for you (acording to your lean body mass) try to get as close as you can.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Sam Marusich

Profile:

Just a question, but if he were to lower his P/C blocks and up his fat blocks to compensate, would that be better than lowering all across the board?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeff Sketeris

Profile:

You didn't list your height/weight, so it's a bit of a guess, but I would think it is safe to say that a guy who does mma and crossfit with intensity will surely "bonk" at only 15 blocks. I would try other things before going there.

Like the poster above, you can try to raise your fats to get the calories you need.

Another thing is to try to eat more calorie-dense foods (if you're not finishing your food, then you're just simply getting very full or eating very frequently, or both). Trying to eat purely paleo WILL involve large quantities of food, because the foods are high in fiber and lower in calories overall. It's highly recommended to do, but if you can't finish what you eat and your overall nutrition suffers because of it, then it's not a plan you can live with, and therefore you need to try something new that works for you better.

You could try incorporating things like breads and pastas and see what they do for you in terms of getting your blocks in. I know this is heresy to many people on these boards as these are processed carbs, but this is a suggestion for you and your specific issue. You'll get the calories you need without having to down tons of food.

Overall, I would find other ways to get your 19 blocks in through different food choices instead of simply cutting back on overall blocks.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Harry Shaw

Profile:

Im 6'1 and weigh 235...
According to the Zone website I should be eating 14 blocks and according to the CF journal as a "large male" so where should I land?
H
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Shaw View Post
Im 6'1 and weigh 235...
According to the Zone website I should be eating 14 blocks and according to the CF journal as a "large male" so where should I land?
H
You need to have a good estimate of how much of those 235# is lean body mass. Try to get a BF% estimate either by taking a reading (calipers or scale) if available or try out one of the zone calculators that use body part measurements.
http://www.drsears.com/ZoneResources...4/Default.aspx (wfs)

regarding the original posters question: There is a limit to how much you can reduct blocks even if you up your fat blocks to compensate for total coloric intake. you have to get enough protein and carbs to feed your muscles. This is why blocks are prescribed according to lean body mass. If you need 19 blocks to maintain and build muscle, going to 15 and eating more fat will not be the best solution. Lean athletes need the extra fat to maintain BF%, but they do this on top of the prescribed blocks.