CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Tom Nguyen

Profile:
1st o-lift tips/advice please

Well - it's official; I paid my entrance fee, bought a singlet and some weightlifting shoes and will be competing in my first olympic lifting meet here:

http://www.lifttilyadie.com/PWA/08PWAFlyer.htm (WFS)

Can I get some advice on how to prepare for the event and day of event logistics. I am going alone and don't have a coach or team-mates and have never watched an event before.

1. Weigh-ins - do you weigh in with your singlet and shoes on? I'm right on the verge of 62kg

2. Training leading up to the event? What do you do 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week prior to the event?

3. My max for the Snatch is 130lbs which I've been nailing 75% of the time. What should I aim for my opening lift in kg?

4. My max for the CJ is 180lb but I'm not sure how consistent I can do that without a slight press-out on the jerk and not sure how strict they will be. What should I aim for my opening lift in kg?

5. Could you walk through the process of stating what you intend to lift, having your name call, and the signals to lift, hold and drop?

Thanks for the help! Hope to see some crossfitter out at this event.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: 1st o-lift tips/advice please

1. Weigh ins are without shoes. Without anything else too, if you need to make weight.

2. Training up to the event depends on your experience level. Beginners should get in a lot of reps for more practice. Experienced lifters will increase the weight on the bar and decrease the total volume as the meet approaches. This is so they get used to competition loads and so that they aren't wiped out from training. Neither beginners or experienced lifters should do heavy lifting for the couple of days before the meet.

3. MAKE YOUR OPENERS! Your opener should be a weight that you can do at 3am, five minutes after you've been yanked out of a sound sleep. 130 should NOT be your opener. Maybe for your third lift, if you're only hitting it 75% of the time. MAKE YOUR OPENERS! Nothing is more important for your first meet, except maybe having fun.

4. MAKE YOUR OPENERS!
Another rule of thumb for openers is pick a weight that you can do a triple with in training. Even that may be too aggressive. MAKE YOUR OPENERS!

5. Get to the meet early. Way early. Say hello to people, introduce yourself to as many people as possible, make it clear this is your first meet. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You will meet some of the nicest people. They will help you. When people find out that this is your first meet and you don't have a coach, you will probably be adopted by several coaches. With luck maybe someone like Veronica Carpenter will be there (she's from Sacramento) and take pity on you. Accept their help.

At the weigh in you will be asked for your opening attempts. You will given a card to sign with these openers. These attempts are not written in stone nor in blood - you will be allowed to change your mind on each attempt a maximum of two times each before actually lifting, but remember you can never ask for less weight.

Count on approximately 1 minute or more between lifts. Check the scorekeeper's table. For example, if there are 3 people ahead of you with their first attempts and their openers are a lot less than yours, figure each lifter will probably take their first AND their second and probably even their third attempts before your first attempt. So that means your first attempt is 7-10 minutes after the first lift. Plan your warmups accordingly. Most people start their warmups WAY too soon and warmup WAY too much. If you've planned your attempts well, your first attempt should feel like a really heavy warmup. MAKE YOUR OPENERS!

The announcer will let you know when you are "in the hole", "on deck" and when you are the next lifter. You will have 1 minute after being called to crack the bar off the ground. Once you get the bar overhead, bring your feet in line with the bar and wait for the head judge (right in front of you) to give you the "DOWN!" signal. This signal will be both audible and visual. Wait for it. As you set the bar down, be sure to keep your hands on the bar until it passes your waist.

As soon as the lift is completed, walk over to the scorekeeper's table. They will have that card with your attempts on it. Let them know how much weight you want for your next attempt. If you missed the lift, even if it should have been easy, repeat the weight. As a first time lifter your goal should not be to set personal records; your goal should be to make every lift. If you do not make your opening attempts I know some people in Sacramento who can hurt you. MAKE YOUR OPENERS.

Have fun. Tell Butch I said hey.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 03-03-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Good information there, Lincoln.

Quote:
As you set the bar down, be sure to keep your hands on the bar until it passes your waist.
Is this required?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Good information there, Lincoln.

Is this required?
Yes, you need to show control of the bar until it hits the ground. You don't necessarily have to have a grip on it, but you have to follow it down.

I'd offer to coach you through warm-ups, but I'll be weighing in while you're lifting. But, i may be able to find someone to help you. Everyone is pretty helpful in the PWA.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 03-04-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Tom, I thought Nguyen sounded familiar. Are you the Nguyen that lifts for FIT? Guess I should have said "hello" and introduced myself.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Jason M Struck

Profile:

Having some frequent conversations with PowerLifting coaches, I can reiterate what Lincoln has said;

Make Your Openers!

nothing worse than bombing out, and I have seen some good lifters bomb. The most important thing about your first comp is to simply put some numbers on some board, out there, somewhere.