CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
James Besenyei

Profile:
How Has Paleo Worked For You?

Recently went to a strictly Paleo diet after a month of working my way into it. I am curious what the real results of the diet have been for those following it. Did your energy dip, then rebound? How difficult was the transition to no grains? Did you lose/gain weight/muscle? How long have you been Paleo? Do you also follow the Zone? What was the most difficult part of your initial transition to the Paleo? Etc.

Jim.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Craig Brown

Profile:
Re: How Has Paleo Worked For You?

I have had no problems going paleo, as long as I go STRICT low carb for the first couple of weeks, which cuts out fruit. I shoot for sub 28g of net carbs for at least two weeks, preferably four. Then I start adding in fruit slowly. My energy crashes, I get a headache or two, and a couple nights of disturbed sleep but that's about it, and then energy levels stabilize completely within two weeks. I'll lose a ton of water weight in that time, and then things get pretty normal and even keel.

Craig
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

My life is too chaotic (schedules, locations, activity levels, everything) to notice a lot of the subtle differences others seem to be able to notice.

But I've had trouble --- really severe cravings for any form of carbs, and especially for sugar. I have scarcely eaten ANY bread, pasta, rice, cereal since I started in July /August, but I have frequently given in to the maddening 'need' for a chocolate bar, and once when I ate some carbs --- pasta? --- it felt heavenly.

So I'm having significant trouble. And as I said, too many variables changing for me to chart other changes. My weight, strength, energy -- haven't noticed any differences.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I do eat some dairy product---homemade Greek yogurt and lowfat cottage cheese---but since foregoing bread, pasta, grains, etc., I lost two inches off my waist.

Performance hasn't changed much....only PR in this time is rowing time. Since adding IF, however, my sleep is better.

Susie
Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:

Susie,

Are you following a scheduled IF routine (eat until 6pm day 1; don't eat until after 6pm day 2; repeat) or do you vary the times and lengths of fasting? Is your diet in conjunction with Zone, or do you "eyeball" portions? I'm curious about IF as well, but really wanted to get used to Paleo before delving deeper. Did you transition to Paleo and IF separately?

Kirez,

Have you found any Paleo friendly foods that curb the "carb-lust", or is attempting to replace grains & starches Sisyphean?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Craig Brown

Profile:

About carb lust. If I am getting this, I eat even less of them. For me lust for carbs means I'm not eating clean enough.

Craig
Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:

Right on Craig. That makes sense b/c one should be able to "take in" enough carbs in a clean manner, w/o resorting to grains. Good point.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Scheduling makes it hard for me to eat enough throughout the day. I usually start off great, but, by late afternoon/evening I'm famished even after adding more lean protein and good fats. This is wost on metcon days. I've been trying to keep myself properly "supplied". I no longer crave chocolate. I'd love to sit down and eat 16 oz of meat, though. That doesn't work with my schedule. Also, its just after the holidays so spirited bevereges throw things off.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
Susie,

Are you following a scheduled IF routine (eat until 6pm day 1; don't eat until after 6pm day 2; repeat) or do you vary the times and lengths of fasting? Is your diet in conjunction with Zone, or do you "eyeball" portions? I'm curious about IF as well, but really wanted to get used to Paleo before delving deeper. Did you transition to Paleo and IF separately?

Kirez,

Have you found any Paleo friendly foods that curb the "carb-lust", or is attempting to replace grains & starches Sisyphean?
Well, for quite a while---2, 3 years, I ate a pretty clean diet, but routinely included barley, brown rice, whole grain breads and pastas, beans and legumes.

Then, I started eating paleo (except for those two dairy foods). I did do a combined Zone/paleo thing, but the precision of the Zone doesn't work well with me, it gets me too obsessive and perfectionistic. (I do track on fitday at frequent intervals, so I know pretty much how many calories I'm eating.)

After eating paleo for a couple of months, I added IF, and I really like how I feel on it. I like the freedom of fasting. I like how I feel during a fast. I think going paleo had the biggest impact on my body in terms of getting leaner.

I've been IFing for a couple of weeks, and I usually fast from about 8 or 9pm at night until about 1 or 2pm, roughly 16 hours. Twice I woke up in the morning knowing I needed to eat, so I did. No big deal. I like being in touch with my body in this way.

I think it pays to do things in increments. Tends to "stick" better.

Susie
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:

If I get one of these carb lust episodes (rarely, but they happen), I eat about 3-4 servings of macadamia nuts and it goes away! Not saying that's perfect, but I think it's better than giving in and eating a crapload of carbs.