CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #41
Bob Long

Profile:
Re: *rant* 2 running deaths in one day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Most of the runners I know also don't spend time trying to defend their sport. They enjoy it and do it because they like it, and that's it. Someday I hope that CFers can be as comfortable in their own skin.
Best quote from this whole discussion. The runners I know don't go around telling people how great running is and how bad crossfit is. They just do their thing and keep quietabout it. If you want to run, then run, If you don't want to run, then don't run. I do both crossfit and marathons, and other than this board, never discuss it with anybody.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #42
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul Ham-Williams View Post
I hate to flame the fire but this the first time I have ever heard anyone try and say that running creates bone density - infact as far as I nkow it does exactly the opposite to save energy.
Eh, they say that jumping increases bone density, that much I do know.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #43
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Here is an interesting story of a 350 lb man who completed the Boston Marathon. The link is work and family safe.

http://blog.whatwouldjacobdo.com/200...ke-apples.aspx
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #44
David Wood

Profile:

There's a fair amount of evidence that exercise generally, particularly "load-bearing" exercise (like running) increases bone density in sedentary individuals. I believe I remember reading studies that showed swimming (which is essentially non-load-bearing) didn't produce this effect.

The mechanism of action is believed to be the body's adaptation to, well, bearing loads, and the specific mechanisms include piezoelectric effects in cell structure (look it up).

As noted, I suppose if carried to ridiculous extremes (and especially if coupled with poor nutrition and extreme weight reduction (e.g., anorexia)), you could get a thinning effect as the body tried to "reduce mass". But the vast majority of recreational runners will get an increase, not a decrease, in their bone density from their exercise.

FWIW, most studies have shown equal effects from weightlifitng programs, I believe.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #45
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wagner View Post
Here is an interesting story of a 350 lb man who completed the Boston Marathon. The link is work and family safe.

http://blog.whatwouldjacobdo.com/200...ke-apples.aspx
Awesome
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #46
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Brandon

I thought the story was "kinda" neat. Sort of a Rocky-type story. As someone said on another site, he didn't win, but he did go the distance.