CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
*rant* 2 running deaths in one day...

Ok, this is REALLY ticking me off. On ONE day, TWO people died in two separate running events. One person died in Chicago in the marathon there today, and another person died in the Army 10 Miler in Washington DC.

WHEN are people going to learn that our bodies were not created to run for long distances? We're not designed to do these things, yet they hold it up as the "pinnacle of fitness" if you can run for a long distance. And this doesn't even touch the appearance of your typical "distance" athlete, which is often crazy skinny and wrinkled. I've seen 30-ish year old runners who could pass for 45 on their skin appearance alone. Sorry, but in my opinion, these guys are just cooking themselves from the inside out. For many, their organs are failing, the combination of insane distances and "refueling" with carbs ensures early failure of vital organs, etc. Lots have chronic overuse injuries, and have to routinely see Physical Therapists and Massage Therapists just to continue participating in their sport...

I dunno, it just ticks me off the way our culture holds up running as some great, high and mighty thing. To me, running should be treated like alcohol, taken in moderation it's ok.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
miguel flores

Profile:
Re: *rant* 2 running deaths in one day...

I think everyone has this huge misconception about running a long distance event. I can assure you that anyone that isnt breaking under 3:30 for the marathon is not "running" the event, they are merely surviving one!! I would never attempt to try a marathon because i know that i wouldnt be "running" it, but barely hanging on for life! Even with my 1:13 half marathon time, still would never attempt that!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

The running deaths were due to the heat, not the body spontaneously giving out because it doesn't like marathons. Yeah, if you decide to not keep yourself hydrated and pushing yourself in 90-degree heat despite knowing the dangers, you are going to run into trouble. Literally.

Crossfitters meet Uncle Rhabdo, but is that because humans weren't made to do Crossfit, or because the practitioners were foolish and pushed themselves beyond their means? I mean, if we're going to argue humans weren't built to move long distances or run long distances, please argue that to members of African herding tribes who do just that every day to drive their herds, and have been thriving since time immemorial (or at least before colonialism).
Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Humans are built to be able to run long distances, very long ones. However, the average-Joe today just don't have the conditioning or form to do so.

People really need to learn their limits and not do such stupid things...
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Look up Kalahari Bushmen on YouTube or Google Video, W/F safe IF you decide to go there. I agree with Patrick here, human beings are SPECIFICALLY built for running long long long distances very efficiently, we are not strong compaired to other animals at our weight, we are not sprinting fast, we cannot fly, we can barely swim, yet at distances over a marathon distance, we (humans) can run farther and faster than anything on the earth. Humans have been documented as outrunning horses (over far distances) many times. If somebody knows the Northern UK race with a prize set aside for beating a horse on foot over something around 24 miles please put that up for me i just cannot remember it, but the man did beat the horse by a few minutes. Another example is that a Native American chief who was once a message runner for the tribe outran from sun-up to sun-down 2 horses as in, a switch at the half-way point. Humans are AMAZING long distance animals.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel flores View Post
I think everyone has this huge misconception about running a long distance event. I can assure you that anyone that isnt breaking under 3:30 for the marathon is not "running" the event, they are merely surviving one!! I would never attempt to try a marathon because i know that i wouldnt be "running" it, but barely hanging on for life! Even with my 1:13 half marathon time, still would never attempt that!
I don't believe for one second that a you could run a 1:13 half marathon and still have no confidence to simply complete a full marathon. A 1:13 half marathon runner could probably finish a full marathon in 2:45 with no troubles.

Anyways, I agree that running is an overrated measure of fitness, but I also believe that you can run with absolutely no negative health affects if you build yourself up to a point where you can handle the distances. You never hear stories of 40 year old runners who have been running consistently since they were in high school dying during these events, it's always some middle aged weekend warrior that had no idea what they were getting themselves into.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Patrick and Trevor are right. Most of the runners I know also don't spend time trying to defend their sport. They enjoy it and do it because they like it, and that's it. Someday I hope that CFers can be as comfortable in their own skin.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

We kill a lot of people in the army running every year.

I was an anthropology major and from studying hunter-gatherer societies, I agree that humans in general are not made for running long distances. It is one of the most degenerative things you can do to your body.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Most people will die anyway, doing something. If it happens to be that they are running at the time why slate running? They could just have easily been having sex! :-) And if in this case it was the heat then its their own stupid fault.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
miguel flores

Profile:

[quote=Nick Gagnon;202038]I don't believe for one second that a you could run a 1:13 half marathon and still have no confidence to simply complete a full marathon. A 1:13 half marathon runner could probably finish a full marathon in 2:45 with no troubles.

Considering that I was 17 when I did that and was training specifically for 5k cross country races, yea I did do that. The most I ever ran at one time without stopping was 16 miles, and that was death to me. The most I ever raced was that half. But I can assure that there would be no way in **** I could "run" a marathon. Survive one, yes.