CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
Rob McBee

Profile:
Re: Protein Powder

ProPeptide is the name, not sure who makes it. Good stuff, blend of proteins w/digestive enzymes. Sucralose but no other artificial sweetners.

Metabolic Whey from MRM is good stuff too.

Ultra Size from Beverly Int. Vanilla is my 2nd favorite for taste behind the Propeptide.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #22
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Deforrest View Post
You must have never tried this. Mint Chocolate Chip FTW.
I use the ON too, but just the double rich chocolate... but you can make lots with it! Here are some variations I make (I usually add a bananna and ice every time):

1) add 2 drops peppermint oil to make chocolate mint. Peppermint oil is pretty expensive at about 13 bucks for a small bottle, but it will last years b/c you only use 2 drops at a time.

2) add 1 tsp natural peanut butter. Who doesnt like chocolate and peanut butter together? hehe

3) add 1/4 cup frozen raspberries

4) add 1/4 cup frozen strawberries

4) add 1/4 cup frozen blueberries

anyway, I think i may try the Nitrean Anthony mentioned next.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I'm a supplement junky, but I've scaled it down since I've been part of the CF community.

I take two scoops of ON double rich chocolate with a table spoon of almond butter every morning after I take my morning pills (EFAs, joint stuff, antioxidants)

I aslo take two sccops of ON double rich Chocolate about two more times a day. On training days, I take one scoop with some biotest surge and pro performance glutamine PWO. Then 45 minutes later, I take two more scoops of ON DRC.

Before bed, I take ON's casein based protein. It's wicked to blend, so a blender is absolutely necessary. This is something new I'm trying to get away from eating solid meals after 8:00 pm each night. It's a hard habit for me to break because I attack the carb with veracious vigor when I get tired.

All the best,
Arden
Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #24
Mike Groth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Nitrean from AtLarge Nutrition. Hands down, no question.
I see that 1 serving contains 24g protein. On my Isopure it says 2 scoops (50g protein = 1 serving). Is 24g protein sufficient for 1 serving? I am going to get some of the Nitrean since I listen to Anthony's word on just about everything nutrition and crossfit.

Also Anthony could you take a look at the multi-vitamin thread I started. I would like your feedback on that issue as well.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

1 scoop isopure = 32.5 grams = 25 grams of protein.

1 scoop nitrean = 30 grams = 24 grams of protein.

So they are pretty much the same (as are most powders) in that regard. Although Nitrean is a blend (multiple types of protein) and Isopure is not. Recent studies have shown that blends offer a higher net retention ... but it's science, so take it with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I use Nitrean because it tastes awesome. The blend benefits are just bonus.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #26
Clay Jones

Profile:

sorry to be contrary

I buy whatever is on sale or tastes the best, because otherwise you are just wasting your money. The "studies" that most of these companies publish proving the efficacy of their brand over another are pure junk.

Having said that (I'm not trolling, btw) I do like Myoplex for the taste, as well as the Champion products. But real food is better.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #27
Joseph Lemos

Profile:

I agree with the previous comments that downplay the benefits of one brand over another. It is very easy to mislead people while using accurate statistics. For example, if you blow up the scale of a bar chart, you can make a somewhat insignificant variation appear to be meaningful (such as absorption rates over time).

As an aside, I would be careful to read the labels if you buy something other than pure protein. If you take multiple supplements, you can accidentally get too much of certain fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K). These can be toxic at levels higher than recommended.

I use GNC brand 100% Whey Protein because when it is on sale, and you buy 6lbs, it's only $0.44 for a 21 gram serving. The Chocolate Caramel is great, but the Strawberry is a sin against nature.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #28
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Lemos View Post
I use GNC brand 100% Whey Protein because when it is on sale, and you buy 6lbs, it's only $0.44 for a 21 gram serving. The Chocolate Caramel is great, but the Strawberry is a sin against nature.
And that, my friend, is a good deal!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
Jason R. McNab

Profile:

I use Peak Performance Whey. It is found at http://shop.lifetimefitness.com/prod...id=3&tree_id=3 They have an auto ship option which provides a discount.

I use it in my favorite PW shake.

1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cup of cube ice
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 serving of Peak Performance Whey.
1 serving of glutamine.

Every once in awhile I blend it a certain duration and have the right amount of ice and it gets very close to ice cream. I usually mix shake, start blender, start shower, drink shake, and shower. I tried to simulate the process on purpose to recreate this ice creamery occurrence but cannot. Sometimes I get the timing right, sometimes I donít. HAHA

Reading these boards, I am interested in hearing feedback on the following.

The Peak Performance Whey has Whey and Casein blend. I thought it was good because there is a fast digestion there with a slower digestion. Should I find pure whey to use?

The Peak Performance Whey uses a little of sucroluse. Should I be overly concerned? (Vanilla Taste)

I really like this product because you get 35 servings for 39 bucks. If you auto ship itís even cheaper.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #30
Tim Donahey

Profile:

I've tried GNC Isolate, Isopure, Muscle Milk, Designer Whey, and Universal's.

But,

the best whey powder I or anyone else has ever tried is Ergopharm GF-Pro Whey Protein Isolate.

Get the blueberry. If heaven could ever be blended and bottled it would taste like this. :stir:

Sometimes I eat the powder straight. It's that good.

Downside is that's it's pricey ($25 for a 2.2 pounder, 36 servings)... but it just tastes so good!

GF-PRO FTW!

(WFS) http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/EP01

AAMOF I think I'll have one now.